The original Moberly student residence was built in 1966 and no longer meets the expectations of students for modern accommodation. Works have begun on site in preparation for the new development and demolition of the existing building is scheduled to take place in September 2018. The original building will be replaced with a high-quality, modern development with 251 bedrooms – helping to fulfil the growing demand from our students for on-campus accommodation at our Streatham Campus.
University Partnerships Programme (UPP) will design, build, fund and operate the new Moberly residence. The proposals have evolved through two public consultations in July and November 2016 and the feedback from our students, residents and local community has shaped the proposals, accommodating their views as much as possible.
The bedrooms will be arranged in cluster flats, and following student feedback will all be standard accommodation with one shared bathroom between two students.
Moberly forms part of our commitment to ease the pressure on accommodation in the city, as well as providing a range of options for future students alongside our other new student residences East Park and Spreytonway.
Plans for Moberly
What will Moberly look like?
The revised plans shown in November 2016:
- 251 student bedrooms arranged in cluster flats including reception and common rooms in one single building
- The building footprint is located with respect to preserved trees
- The H-shaped configuration allows the location of student services and social activities in the centre of the site – away from neighbours
- Reconfiguring internal arrangements reduces overlooking to neighbouring properties – particularly toward Cowley Bridge Road.
- The northern courtyard provides an area for vehicle access and turning to ensure regular servicing and vehicle movements (such as bin collection) are undertaken on the University’s land
This tab will provide you with regular updates on the planned works, highlighting any potential noise and disruption, so that you have as much notice as possible to make any alternative arrangements.
Works summary for week commencing Monday 20 May
Slab prep work for Zones B and D and Zone C steel fixing all continue this week. Works will also be taking place on the main steel frame which is likely to cause intermittent high impact noise. Perimeter scaffolding will continue to be installed and concrete deliveries are expected all week.
Works summary for week commencing Monday 27 May
Slab prep work for Zones B and D and Zone C steel fixing all continue this week. Works will also be taking place on the main steel frame which is likely to cause intermittent high impact noise. Perimeter scaffolding will continue to be installed and concrete deliveries are expected all week. Please note, no works take place on Monday 27 May (Bank Holiday)
If you have any questions in relation to our new student accommodation plans please email email@example.com and a member of the team will get back to you.