Funding your disability support

Disabled Students' Allowance

Most UK students with a disability/long-term health condition/specific learning difficulty will be able to apply for the Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA).

It is not means-tested and doesn't cover disability-related costs you would have if you weren’t attending a course, or costs that any student might have.

The DSA can help with the costs of:

  • specialist equipment ( voice recorder, computer equipment, assistive software)
  • non-medical helpers (eg. a note-taker, study skills tuition, mentoring)
  • extra travel costs you have to pay because of your disability
  • other costs, like photocopying

You can apply for the allowance before you start your course, so that you have the opportunity of receiving it in time for the date you start. See the DSA website for more information.

If you are not eligible for DSA, please make an appointment with an AccessAbility advisor to discuss funding and support.

Personal care support

Personal care support, help with day-to-day living and local mobility training cannot be funded through the DSA. Your local Social Services (or equivalent) may be able to help. You should contact them as soon as you have made your final choice of university, if not before.

You will need to arrange your personal care support before you come to the University.

International students

International students, please see our information on support and funding for international students.