Video:self catered
Video: catered
Video: University
Video: returners

Frequently asked questions

Please click on an FAQ below to reveal the answer.  If you can't find the answer you are looking for please contact the Accommodation team on 0300 555 0444 or email us at

All students

Rooms and facilities

Your nine digit university ID number is provided by the University when you firmly accept your offer of an academic place. The number should begin with a five or six. It is referred to on letters from Admissions as an 'Exeter Reference Number'

For new students, this is a different number from your UCAS number. For enrolled students, this is the number shown on your University card.

Room numbers are subject to change until your arrival with us. You can find out your room number when you have completed the University's online registration process in early September and arrived with us.

In some residences room sizes vary considerably. A guide is given on the individual residences pages. Please also see our virtual tours.

The majority of standard student study bedrooms have washbasins. All en-suite rooms have a washbasin. For more information please browse the residences' web pages.

Click2Campus sell packs of kitchen and bedding equipment that can be delivered to your residence before you arrive, so you don't have to bring everything with you.

If you are allocated University owned or managed accommodation you will receive an email asking you to login to your accommodation account to review the offer made to you online. Our online services enable you to access and accept the accommodation contract anywhere in the world.

All rooms have either data points or a wireless internet connection. You can arrange provision of a telephone for your room with StudentCom.

In most cases it isn't necessary to bring a TV with you as there are internet connections in every study bedroom giving access to IPTV via your laptop or computer. Not all of our student bedrooms have aerial sockets - check on your residence's webpage for more information.

You may bring a television for your communal area if you have one, but you will need to purchase a TV licence. Please see the TV Licensing site for more details. Please note that if you intend to watch live television on your computer you will need a TV licence.

From 1 September 2016 you will need to be covered by a TV Licence in order to download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer. This applies to any device and provider you use. Find out more on the TV Licensing website.

Pets are not permitted in University accommodation.

Your personal belongings in your locked rooms are insured and insurance cover is provided in all University owned/managed and approved accommodation by Endsleigh Insurance. Once you have received an offer of accommodation, we advise you check  your policy details and level of insurance cover through Endsleigh by entering in the policy number HH1134 and‌ to find out if you need to extend the cover for valuable items such as laptops, cameras, musical instruments, bikes and mobile phones.

The University has a Sustainable Travel Plan and actively seeks to encourage green travel. In line with this, there is no parking available on either the Streatham or St Luke's campuses (including Rowancroft) for resident students.

Guests of students living in University residences may enter halls, however, after 23:30 they must be accompanied by a member of the residence. There must not be more than four visitors/guests in the accommodation at any time.

Any student wishing to have overnight guests must seek permission in writing from the Residence Life Team, who must take account of fire and safety implications and, in shared rooms, of the interests of your roommate. Residence Life Team members and Residence Managers will withdraw permission for guests to remain if their behaviour is deemed antisocial or unacceptable in any way.

Please note that overnight guests need to be over 18.

In all residences there is a possibility of moving to a different room after the first two weeks of the academic year, although please be aware that there is an administration charge of £50 during the 2015/16 academic year. Furthermore, due to the large number of room move requests a priority system is in operation. Priority is given to students with medical or welfare issues in the first instance. You are advised to speak to the Accommodation Office about a room move and the Residence Life Teams for any welfare support and advice after arrival. See our dedicated Room Moves page for further information.

If you are with one of our city centre, larger providers, then there is a possibility that you could swap with a student in another residence providing there are no special circumstances, e.g. an all female flat.

To submit a request to move residence, please log an enquiry online with the Student Information Desk (via the Ask SID tab in iExeter).

There are small supermarket located in the centre of the Streatham Campus known as the Market Place, as well as other smaller outlets selling essential items in other locations on campus for example at Cornwall House and Birks Grange Village. Exeter city centre is a short walk from either campus where you can find a larger supermarkets such as Tesco, Sainsburys, Marks & Spencer and Iceland.

With more than 5,500 students arriving over Freshers' Week we have staggered arrivals to ease congestion both in the city and on the campuses. 

Arrival any earlier than Freshers' Week is not recommended, but may be possible in extenuating circumstances.

We recommend you read our early arrival information before you enquire (information available from May 2017). If you have any further questions please contact the Accommodation Office for advice.

You may stay in your room for the full period stated on your accommodation agreement.

If you have a catered 32 week contract you do not pay for accommodation over Christmas and Easter vacations and may not reside in them for these periods.

If you require accommodation over the vacation periods please contact the Accommodation Office as we may be able to accommodate you in self catered accommodation. For information on what is available over the summer please visit vacations pages. Alternatively, visit our visitor pages or our private sector pages if you require temporary accommodation.

If you have a self catered 40, 42, 44 or 51 week contract you may stay in your room for the full period stated on your accommodation agreement. Summer vacation accommodation may be available on application. Alternatively, if your accommodation agreement length has expired, please make enquiries at the Accommodation Office for possible vacancies.

If you live in catered student accommodation you can leave your belongings in your room over the Christmas vacation, but will have to move your belongings out in the Easter holidays.

If you live in a self catered residence your contract runs right through these two holiday periods.

Unfortunately, we are currently unable to provide storage facilities at the University however, a number of local companies offer storage solutions:

For more information, please contact your residence reception who will be able to assist you.

Disclaimer: this information is for reference only; these companies are in no way affiliated to the University. The University cannot be held responsible for the quality of service they provide.

The Accommodation Office can give you information about accommodation in the private sector. Lists of bed and breakfast accommodation, lodgings and private sector student housing are available. Please see our section on private sector accommodation for more information.

The Student Accommodation Code was introduced in 2006 by Universities UK and GuildHE. It protects your right to safe, good quality accommodation, wherever you study and outlines everything you can expect from your accommodation as well as your responsibilities as a tenant.

Fees and payment

Please contact the Accounts Receivable Team for advice via

It is also recommended that you contact the Students' Guild Advice Unit at who are able to offer impartial and confidential assistance on a whole range of issues, including housing, finance, and academic related matters.

In University accommodation the majority of students pay termly and the amount is stated on your accommodation agreement. The £300.00 accommodation deposit goes towards reducing the second and third terms' accommodation charge by £150.00 each term.

If you wish to pay the whole year in advance remember to deduct the amount of your deposit from your total charges due. If you are unsure of how much your accommodation charges are please refer to your online contract

The University accepts various methods of payment as detailed on the Student Finance webpages.

The majority of students are exempt from paying council tax, but there are a few exceptions. Registry provide a comprehensive guide and are happy to offer advice and assistance.

Contact us

The Accommodation Office can be contacted between 9:00am-5:00pm Monday to Friday.

All enquiries should be directed to the Student Information Desk either online or in the Student Services Centre in the Forum.

UK Tel: 0300 555 0444
International Tel: +44 1392 72 4724

If you are a registered student or applicant please quote your University of Exeter student number (ID number). This number is nine digits long and starts with a five or six.

If we have not answered your question here please contact us.