Family and couples accommodation

A family is defined as: adult(s) with child/children under the age of 16; unfortunately this accommodation is not available for friends wishing to share. The flats have one, two or three bedrooms and the number of occupants per flat is restricted. Please refer to the information on the Clydesdale Court webpage which explains how many people can live in each flat.

We have limited family and couples accommodation in our self catered residences, so we cannot guarantee places.

This type of residence is mainly in our postgraduate accommodation. Some residences are self contained units; others are rooms with shared facilities.

Applications for 2021/22 accommodation open on 12 April 2021. For further information on how to apply please visit our designated webpage.

Please note that only one application per couple or family is required.

Accommodation options include:

Residence Letting Room type 
Birks Grange Village  Double studio
Clydesdale Court   One, two, and three bedroom flats (suitable for families)
King Edward Court  Double flat

Applications for couple accommodation are processed from late April onwards whilst family accommodation applications are processed after 30 June each year. Applications are prioritised depending on each applicant’s circumstances, using the criteria below as a guide.

  • Students requiring accommodation on medical grounds.
  • New international students.
  • New home students.
  • Returning students (allocated by date of application, if there are vacancies).

Unsuccessful applicants will be kept on a waiting list and offered accommodation should a vacancy arise at a later date.

The contract for these flats starts on Sunday 12 September 2021 and if you should arrive before this date, you will need to find alternative accommodation until the contract starts.

If your application for families and couples accommodation is unsuccessful, we recommend that you look for accommodation within the private sector.

Supported Applications

The University recognises that some students may have particular accommodation requirements – for example, relating to a disability or health issue – which may best be met through living in a University residence.  If you require a room in University accommodation for a welfare reason, this will not be automatically allocated to you, even if you are currently in residence. 

Your application should be supported by the relevant Student Support service. Please contact us for more details or if you require assistance in making your application.