Information for university staff

The following information is to help colleagues in Colleges understand what services are provided to students by the Accommodation Office. 

The University currently accommodates approximately 5,000 students. We offer new and returning students from the UK and abroad - undergraduate and postgraduate - accommodation in University owned/managed/approved properties. We welcome applications from all students but do offer a guarantee for some students.

The Accommodation Office is happy to prepare text for College brochures and information packs for students. We would point out that this text and information is updated every year as accommodation allocations do change.

Generally, it is not possible for the University to accommodate students who are only studying for short periods of time: these students will need to find accommodation in the private sector and the Accommodation Office is able to offer advice on where to find such accommodation. 

However, if Colleges are operating short courses, or inviting international students to visit for short periods, please contact the Accommodation Office for advice. It may be possible after the first term to accommodate small numbers of students if rooms are available. 

We would ask all Colleges to refer students who may have accommodation queries to SID (Students’ Information Desk – UK Tel: 0300 555 0444; International Tel: +44 1392 72 4724, email 

If a student is living in University accommodation and has a welfare issue, our Residence Life Team is available to assist. To contact them, please email

Accommodation for staff and academic visitors

The University does not have any specific accommodation available for staff members. If we have vacant studio rooms within our student residences we may let these to staff however, tenants will live next to first year undergraduate or postgraduate students. 

The Event Exeter team may have some short term options, which can be booked via 0844 472 2001 or email If these rooms are not available the Accommodation Office may have details of properties for rent in the wider city.