Moving out of catered accommodation
If you are currently living within catered accommodation then you will need to know some specific information for moving out. This will differ depending on whether you are:
- Vacating for the Christmas or Easter holidays
- Vacating at any other time, for example at the end of your accommodation contract, because you are moving rooms or you are leaving University accommodation earlier than anticipated.
Follow the information in the relevant section below by clicking on a question to reveal the answer. If you can't find the answer you are looking for please contact the Accommodation team on 0300 555 0444 or log an enquiry via SID Online.
If you are moving out of self-catered accommodation, please visit our dedicated webpage.
Moving out of catered at any time
- Return your keys/fob to your residence reception by 10:00am on the day of your departure. If your reception is going to be closed when you return your keys, please ask them prior to your departure where you are able to leave them. Do not leave your keys in your room or with a friend because if the keys are not returned to the residence reception, you may be charged for additional nights.
- If your keys are not returned on the correct date of departure you may incur additional night charges and a lost key charge.
- Housekeeping staff will be entering your room after your departure to check that your room is clean, tidy and secure and that there are no obvious things to repair.
- If your reception is closed, keys can be returned through the key drop boxes available at: Holland Hall and Lopes Hall or the letter box available at Birks Grange.
- Please read the Cleaning User Guide for advice on what should be cleaned prior to your departure.
- Clear your room of all belongings, including anything out of the safe and leave your room clean and tidy.
- Clean the shelves, surfaces, drawers and your en-suite bathroom (if applicable).
- Vacuum clean the carpet and remove drawing pins from the noticeboard.
- Strip your bed of all bedding and linen. Please leave the mattress protector folded neatly on your bed.
- Take all rubbish and recycling to the outside bins provided.
- Switch off lights, electrical items (not the mini fridge) and sockets especially the alarm clock.
- Empty and clean your mini fridge but leave it switched on.
- Turn off electric radiators and heated towel rails.
- Turn off taps in the sink and shower.
- Clear the utility room of your belongings and leave it clean and tidy.
- If you brought a bike and left it in the bike shed, please remember to take this with you.
- Please read the Cleaning and Kitchen Equipment User Guide for advice on what should be cleaned prior to your departure.
- Yes, at the end of your contract, you will need to contact your residence reception directly to book a room inspection prior to your departure.
- Your room will need to be cleaned and packed up before the room inspection takes place including stripping your bed of all bedding and linen with the exception of the mattress protector which should be folded neatly on your bed.
- Please advise your reception of any repairs or maintenance issues within your room prior to your departure.
The ‘Moving On’ project has donation points across campus and donated items will be given to the British Heart Foundation for them to sell within local charity shops. If you require more information, take a look at the Moving On flyer which will be on display around your residences during May-September 2019.
Donation bags are available from your Reception. Please fill the bag with your donations and take care with any breakable items. Once filled, you can take the bag to one of the donation points listed below. Where applicable - complete the Gift Aid form inside. Any soiled, unusable items and all unused cleaning products need to be disposed of.
There are donation points up throughout the year and currently available at:
- Birks Grange Central Block
- Birks Grange Ross House Reception
- Holland Hall Reception
- James Owen Court Laundry
- Lafrowda Grounds
- Lopes Hall Reception
- Rowancroft Grounds
- St David's Grounds
The things which are needed are:
- Books and stationery
- Clothes and shoes (in good condition and clean, shoes in pairs)
- Crockery, cutlery, glassware and other kitchen equipment (wrap sharp knives)
- DVDs and CDs
- Electrical items
- Mobile phones
- Pots and pans
- Cleaning equipment
- Sports equipment
- We do not need:
- Pillows and duvets, please take these with you. Black bags available from reception to put bedding in.
If you have any in-date, unopened and non-perishable food, don't throw it away. Please bring it to one of the food donation points at your Reception, which are available at:
- Birks Grange Central Block
- Holland Hall
- Lafrowda Bridestowe House
- Birks Grange Ross House
- James Owen Court Laundry
- Rowancroft Francis House
- St David's
Last year the University of Exeter donated over 25 tonnes of items to the British Heart Foundation. This had an estimated worth of £40,000. This equated to over 2,896 bags of donations.
If you are unsure where your nearest donation point is, please ask your residence reception.
If you do not have a donation point near you, then why not consider some local charity shops within the city to donate your unwanted items.
For more information on recycling other items such as duvets, lab coats and bicycles take a look at our Guest Blog written by sustainability officer - Joel Smith, posted 24 May 2018.