Terms and conditions

Please refer to our legal webpage for all contractual information for the 2017/18 academic year.

Information for 2018/19 will be available by April 2018.


If you are made an offer of accommodation it will contain information and guidance about the terms and conditions that apply to your residency in accommodation, and the regulations applicable to University residences.

Please ensure you read all the information in your offer in full before making your decision whether to accept the offer of accommodation.

The accommodation offer contains information that will help make your stay at the University of Exeter as easy and as pleasant as possible. The information it contains is not exhaustive but may give answers to some questions about your accommodation.

Many of the student residences in Exeter are owned and managed by the University, however some are either owned or managed by carefully selected partners. These partners will usually employ their own staff to carry out services such as reception, cleaning and maintenance.

If you are resident in one of our nominated properties (Northfield, Northernhay House, Point Exe or The Printworks) your accommodation contract will be with our partners and you should refer to their websites for contractual information about these residences.

Sample accommodation contracts for 2017/18

Residential Regulations for 2017/18

As a student at the University of Exeter you will be bound by the University’s Regulations. A full copy of the Regulations can be found on pages 20-25 in the 2017/18 Residents' Handbook.

Residents Information for 2017/18

For further information, please refer to our Residents' Handbook ‌‌ and visit our Residents information page.

Residents Handbook for 2017/18

Please see below for a preview of our the Residents' Handbook relating to contracts for 2017/18.

Your Deposit

If you are made an offer of accommodation in University residences, you are required to pay a deposit of £300.00 in order to secure your place in our residences. Check our When will I hear? page to understand when we will process your application and when you will hear about University accommodation.

This accommodation deposit will be split and credited equally against your accommodation charges in terms 2 and 3. This will reduce the outstanding amount for terms 2 and 3 by £150.00 per term and should be taken into account when making your termly payments.

If you wish to pay the whole year in advance, please remember to deduct the amount of your deposit from your total charges due. If you do not do this, we will refund the deposit in line with the Student Finance Regulations.  

If you are allocated to one of our nominated residences, you will need to read your contractual information to confirm the details relating to deposits for Northfield, Northernhay House, Point Exe or The Printworks.

Cancellation Policy

If you have a contract with the University, we will cancel your contract if you give us written notice (by email or post to the Accommodation Office Team) that you wish to cancel the contact within five working days, beginning on the day after the date the agreement becomes binding. The agreement becomes binding on the date on which you receive an email entitled: Contract Formation Email form the University confirming that the contract has been formed. If you have already paid ta deposit, it will be returned in full in line with the University's Finance Regulations.

If you fail to notify us within the five working day period, you can only terminate the accommodation agreement in accordance with the procedure set out in the accommodation agreement.

Please see our cancellation policy for further information.

If you are resident in one of our nominated properties (Northfield; Point Exe or The Printworks) your contract will be with our partners and you should refer to their websites for contractual information.

Letting Periods

The 2017/18 academic year runs from Monday 18 September 2017 to Friday 15 June 2018 (excluding Freshers' Week). There are a number of different contract lengths within our residences which are summarised in the table below:

WeeksSC/CFreshers' WeekChristmas vacationEaster vacation 2017/18
32 Catered Yes Not resident Not resident

(First) 17 September 2017 - 16 December 2017, (second) 7 January 2018 - 31 March 2018, (third) 29 April 2018 - 16 June 2018

40 Self catered Yes Yes Yes 17 September 2017 - 23 June 2018
42 Self catered Yes Yes Yes 17 September 2017 - 7 July 2018
44 Self catered Yes Yes Yes 17 September 2017 - 21 July 2018
51 Self catered Yes Yes Yes 17 September 2017 - 8 September 2018

Rooms in the catered residences are let for 32 weeks based on the University's term dates. If you live in a catered residence you will not be able to stay in your room during the Christmas and Easter vacations and will be required to move your belongings out for the Easter vacation.

Some self-catered residences are kept open over the summer vacation for students who are staying in Exeter for academic purposes and wish to stay on in university owned/ managed/ approved accommodation. More information about what accommodation is available is provided in the summer term.

You will be expected to remain in University accommodation for the full period as stated in your contract.

Accommodation Code

Many first year students choose to live in university accommodation and, to make sure this is of a good standard, the Student Accommodation Code has been developed by Universities UK and GuildHE.

The Code was introduced in 2006 and has already raised standards of accommodation and aims to continue to enrich the residential experience for students across England and Wales.

The University of Exeter is fully committed to providing quality student accommodation and has signed up to the Student Accommodation Code for University owned and managed properties.

The Code protects your right to safe, good quality accommodation, and makes sure you get the best out of your time living in university residences. It outlines everything you can expect from your accommodation as well as your responsibilities as a tenant.

The Code protects your rights to:

  • A healthy, safe environment.
  • Timely repairs and maintenance.
  • A clean, pleasant living environment.
  • A formal, contractual relationship with your landlord.
  • Access to health and wellbeing services.
  • A living environment free from anti-social behaviour.

If you have any questions please contact the Accommodation Office or your Residence Manager.

Our partners Campus Living Villages (Point Exe); Unite (Northfield/ Northernhay House) and Victoria Halls (The Printworks) to whom we nominate students to live in will be part of the National Code.

Complaints Procedure

We hope that during your stay in our accommodation you will be happy with the service you receive from our staff. However, should you feel the service has not met your expectations and you wish to make a complaint, you should in the first instance the residence reception.

If they are unable to resolve the issue, an appointment will be made with one of our Managers so that they can discuss the matter with you.

If after following this process, you wish to make a formal complaint you should follow Student Complaints Procedure to take the matter to the next stage.


Data Protection Act

The University of Exeter is a data collector and is registered with the Office of the Information Commissioner as required under the Data Protection Act 1998. The University requires this information for education administration purposes and accommodation management and will only process your personal data in accordance with the University’s registration and current data protection legislation. Information contained in your application will be disclosed to members of the University and others as appropriate for the administration and management of your education and accommodation.  The University's data protection principles contain further information.


The University of Exeter is committed to equality of opportunity and does not discriminate on grounds of age, disability, race, sex of beliefs. Where we ask for information about such matters, it is to comply with our legal obligations or to assist us in allocating appropriate accommodation to students’ needs and preferences. Collection of payment is more risky, difficult and expensive from overseas, and payment procedures for international students may vary from payment procedures for UK students to reflect that.