Lang room

The Lang Room is a study space in the new Forum library

New room celebrates library benefactor

A room in the newly refurbished library on the Streatham Campus has been named as a tribute to an Exeter alumnus and philanthropist.

Professor Andrew Lang obtained a first class honours degree in physics at Exeter in 1944. He went on to complete a London External MSc and PhD at Cambridge, carrying out industrial research in England and the USA, before embarking on a successful career in academia.

As Assistant Professor of Physical Metallurgy at Harvard University, then Lecturer, Reader and Professor of Physics at the University of Bristol, Andrew Lang pioneered studies in X-ray diffraction physics. Prof Lang was a Fellow of the Royal Society.

During his life Professor Lang supported many charities including the University of Exeter. He died in 2008 and in his Will bequeathed £90,000 to support investment in the University library. It was in the library that he learned the skills of focused research and study and realised how important this had been during his academic life.

To celebrate his generous legacy, a room within the newly refurbished library has been named the 'Lang Room'. Members of Professor Lang’s family were able to attend a special opening to recognise his generosity.

Stephen Mossop, Head of Library Customer Services at the University said: “We are constantly making advancements in our library provision to ensure we provide the very latest facilities for our students and so we are very grateful for Professor Lang’s generous gift.

“What makes it even more special is that he was a former student who appreciated and valued the University library. We are proud that the principles of research and study he learned at Exeter stayed with him and helped him within his illustrious career.”

Date: 1 November 2012

Read more University News