Energy @ Exeter
|Date||11 May 2011|
|Location||Poldhu Room, Kay Building, Streatham Campus|
Following a welcome and introduction to Bridging the Gaps by Professor David Butler and context overview from Dr Jim Grant, a series of presentations (which can be downloaded below) highlighted different aspects of energy research at Exeter:
- Renewable Energy - Dr Lars Johanning (Camborne School of Mines)
- Energy & Climate Change - Professor Peter Cox (Mathematics & Computer Science)
- Energy & Biofuels - Professor John Love (Biosciences)
- Functional Materials for Energy Storage - Professor Yanqiu Zhu (Engineering)
- Energy & Water - Dr Fayyaz Memon (Engineering)
- Energy & Policy - Dr Peter Connor (Camborne School of Mines)
- Energy Research & Business - Merlin Hyman (Regen SW)
- Public Attitudes to Energy - Dr Tim Kurz (Psychology)
- Energy Projects in the Real World - Anthony Norton (Centre for Energy & the Environment)
Dr Enda Clarke and Dr Jim Grant from Research & Knowledge Transfer then talked about funding opportunities for energy research in the EU and the UK.
Over lunch, participants wrote their ideas on four 'discussion tables' with the following themes:
- joint research (facilitated by Lars Johnanning);
- mechanism (facilitated by Jim Grant);
- industry (facilitated by Tony Norton); and
- skills and education (facilitated by Peter Connor).
The event concluded with feedback from the table facilitators on emerging ideas.
We have done our best to collate all of the notes from the table cloths (!) and facilitators' summaries and these notes can be downloaded below. We welcome any further thoughts and ideas both from those who were at the event and those who weren't. So please continue the discussion on the BTG Wiki.