Ask An Alum
Ask An Alum is now open!
Ask An Alum is a simple and reliable way to connect University of Exeter students, recent graduates and GBPs with our University of Exeter alumni, to ask careers questions, via a short email exchange.
- We have a wide range of alumni undertaking a variety of job roles and from a huge range of organisations, sectors, and countries available to communicate with applicants.
- You don't need to have a set career in mind, just a desire to gather more information and gain insight into the careers you are considering.
- You can ask almost any type of careers related question.
- You can apply as many times as you like.
- There is no long term commitment, objectives, training or preparation needed to participate.
- Current students (all levels of study, located both in the UK or on international placements)
- University of Exeter Alumni (up to three years after graduation, located anywhere in the world)
- Any graduates recruited through the Graduate Business Partnership (GBP) scheme.
Applications are open term-time only.
If you are a current student:
Please view the Ask An Alum Information Page, for more information, to select the alumni that you wish to email and to apply.
If you are a recent graduate (within three years) or a GBP:
Please click here for the application form where you can find detailed instructions on how to apply.
Please note that we will be asking for information on the form about the type of alumni you wish to connect with. Please provide as much information as you can to ensure we find you a suitable match.
- We will contact the alumni that you have selected, asking if they are able to engage in email correspondance with you.
- If they are available to help, we will put you in touch via email for you to ask your careers questions.
- It is then your responsibility to take the lead in communication – we expect applicants to email the alumni within three days of being put in touch - to ask your career questions, respond to replies and to thank them for their help.
Recent graduates (up to three years post graduation) and GBPs:
- Based on the in formation in your application we will select the two alumni who best match your requirements.
- We will contact the alumni, asking if they are able to engage in email correspondance with you.
- It is then your responsibility to take the lead in communication - we expect applicants to email the alumni within three days of being put in touch - to ask your careers questions, respond to replies and to thank them for their help.
Ask An Alum is a way of gathering useful career and sector information directly from working professionals - an opportunity to ask alumni for information to help you make informed career decisions.
Here are some suggestions of what you could ask the alumni:
- How was your transition from university to work (e.g. what did you experience and what should I expect)?
- What was your first job, how did you feel when you started and what did you experience?
- Job hunting techniques (e.g. best sources to look for relevant vacancies).
- What are the sector entry requirements (e.g. qualifications, professional training courses, IT skills)?
- What would a typical day look like in your role?
- What are the main challenges in gaining employment in your profession?
- What are the top 3 skills needed for someone to succeed in the industry?
- Can you recommend any potential networking opportunities (e.g. meetings, training, sector events) where I may make my own contacts for further careers advice?
Ask An Alum is NOT an opportunity for you to ask alumni for any kind of "favour" for example a job, work experience, an internship, industry contacts, to attend a meeting or any kind of event, or for funding an opportunity. Information about finding internships and jobs can be found elsewhere on our website.