Contact alumni for careers advice. Click here to apply
Abrar Al-Quddus, Accounting and Finance (2014), benefitted from advice which helped him secure a graduate job. More feedback.
Kelly Newman, Law (2016), received detailed advice into the legal sector which helped her decide whether it was the career for her. More feedback.
Students may also be interested in applying to the Career Mentor Scheme to gain in-depth careers advice from a professional.
eXepert Scheme (Careers Q&A)
What is the eXepert Scheme?
The eXepert scheme provides students and alumni (located both in the UK and internationally) the opportunity to contact University of Exeter alumni to gain advice on how to enter their chosen sector, work for a certain company, become self-employed or benefit from possible networking opportunities and contacts.
We have a large pool of alumni volunteers who have offered support to students and fellow alumni. As our alumni are based all over the world (including entrepreneurs) and cover a huge range of sectors we are likely to find someone who can offer you an insight into their professional experience and offer advice to help you make informed career decisions.
Who can apply?
- Current students (all levels of study, located both in the UK or on international placements)
- University of Exeter Alumni (up to three years after graduation, located anywhere in the world)
How do I apply?
To participate, complete the short online eXepert application form.
When applying, we advise that applicants have an idea of a sector/profession they are interested in. This will help us during our search to find a close alumni match and to get full benefit from the opportunity.
What happens after I apply?
- We use information in your application form to search our database for alumni who may be willing to help.
- You will be asked to select and list in order of preference three alumni from the search results which you would like to be put in touch with.
- We will contact your three chosen alumni on your behalf, and if they agree to help, we will put you in touch via email for you to ask your careers questions.
- It is then your responsibility to take the lead in communication – we expect applicants to email alumni within one week of being put in touch - to ask your career questions, respond to replies and to thank them for helping you.
- Both alumni and applicants will be asked to complete a short online feedback form after their communication to help us develop eXepert (click here for alumni feedback form and click here for applicant feedback form).
What could I ask my eXepert contact?
Here are some suggestions of what you could ask alumni:
- How was your transition from university to work (e.g. what did you experience and what should I expect)?
- What was your first job, how did you feel when you started and what did you experience?
- Job hunting techniques (e.g. best sources to look for relevant vacancies).
- What are the sector entry requirements (e.g. qualifications, professional training courses, IT skills)?
- What are the good/bad aspects of profession?
- Would you like to share any difficult experiences at work and how did you resolve them?
- What are your proudest career achievements - how did the opportunities arise and how did you accomplish the tasks?
- What are the top 3 skills needed for someone to succeed in the industry?
- Potential networking opportunities (e.g. meetings, trainings, sector events) or contacts for further career advice?
What the eXepert scheme is not
The eXepert scheme is a way of gathering useful career and sector information directly from working professionals - an opportunity to ask questions to alumni to help you make informed career decisions.
eXepert is not an opportunity for you to ask alumni for a job, work experience, an internship, or for funding an opportunity. Information about finding internships and jobs can be found elsewhere on our website.
For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 01392 722034