Contact alumni for careers advice. Click here to apply
Kelly Newman, Law (2016), received detailed advice into the legal sector which helped her decide whether it was the career for her. More feedback.
Did you know the eXepert can count towards The Exeter Award?
eXepert Scheme (Careers Q&A)
The eXepert scheme provides students and recent graduates the opportunity to contact University alumni to gain advice on how to enter their chosen sector, work for a certain company, become self-employed or benefit from possible networking opportunities and contacts.
We have a large pool of alumni who have offered support to students and graduates. As our alumni are based all over the world and cover a huge range of sectors we are likely to find someone who can offer you an insight into their professional experience and offer advice to help you make informed career decisions.
- Current students (all levels of study, located both in the UK or on international placements)
- University of Exeter Alumni (up to three years after graduation, located anywhere in the world)
To participate, complete the short online eXepert application form.
When applying, we advise that applicants try and provide as much detail as possible in the following areas:
- profession/job role
- company or organisation
- as alumnus that has studied your degree
- an alumnus you know by name
This will help us during our search to find a close alumni match and help you to get full benefit from the opportunity.
1. We use information in your application form to search our database for alumni who may be willing to help.
2. You will be asked to select and list in order of preference three alumni from the search results which you would like to be put in touch with.
3. We will contact your three chosen alumni on your behalf, and if they agree to help, we will put you in touch via email for you to ask your careers questions.
4. It is then your responsibility to take the lead in communication – we expect applicants to email alumni within three days of being put in touch - to ask your career questions, respond to replies and to thank them for helping you.
Here are some suggestions of what you could ask alumni:
- How was your transition from university to work (e.g. what did you experience and what should I expect)?
- What was your first job, how did you feel when you started and what did you experience?
- Job hunting techniques (e.g. best sources to look for relevant vacancies).
- What are the sector entry requirements (e.g. qualifications, professional training courses, IT skills)?
- What are the good/bad aspects of profession?
- Would you like to share any difficult experiences at work and how did you resolve them?
- What are your proudest career achievements - how did the opportunities arise and how did you accomplish the tasks?
- What are the top 3 skills needed for someone to succeed in the industry?
- Can you recommend any potential networking opportunities (e.g. meetings, trainings, sector events) where I may make my own contacts for further careers advice?
The eXepert scheme is a way of gathering useful career and sector information directly from working professionals - an opportunity to ask alumni for information to help you make informed career decisions.
eXepert is not an opportunity for you to ask alumni for any kind of "favour" for example a job, work experience, an internship, industry contacts, to attend a meeting or any kind of event, or for funding an opportunity. Information about finding internships and jobs can be found elsewhere on our website.
For further information please get in touch:
Tel: 01392 722034