Engineering, manufacturing and processing
Engineering, manufacturing and processing
This sector has remained largely buoyant throughout the recent down turn in the jobs market, and the demand for 'good' graduates continues particularly in the civil and mechanical fields.
The combination of a degree from Exeter with some engineering work experience can open door in many sectors so it's a good idea to look for relevant vacation work experience. Many companies offer such schemes from large multinationals (where the competition can be fierce) to small local companies and public utilities. The Student Business Partnerships (SBP) scheme is very worthwhile for gaining this type of experience.
The Career Zone receives a number of specialist engineering graduate recruitment magazines, so make sure you visit us to collect your free copies.
icould.com - career videos by job type
- Careers in Aerospace
- Aerospace Technology - site includes industry news, jobs and careers section and a listing of aerospace contractors and suppliers.
- Cogent Careers - the careers website for Cogent, the Sector Skills Council for the chemical, pharmaceutical, nuclear, oil and gas, petroleum and polymer industries. The site offers information on the industry, qualifications and a variety of roles in the sector.
- Control Engineering Europe - covers control, instrumentation and automation. Of particular use is the Sitefind search engine, dedicated to ten key industry sectors, which you can search to find engineering companies operating in the sector.
- Department for Business, Innovation and Skills - provides business information and guidance for the manufacturing sector in the UK.
- European Space Agency (ESA) - provides information on the work of the ESA and includes a detailed careers section. The site provides information on student placements, graduate trainee positions, career opportunities and current vacancies.
- Inside Careers: Chemical Engineering - careers guide and job vacancies for chemical engineering
- Lantra- is the Sector Skills Council for the environmental and land-based sector. The website provides extensive careers information about the environmental and land-based industry
- Marine Engineering Programme - sponsored training
- Nanotechweb - contains news and resources on a range of topics in nanotechnology
- New Civil Engineer - contains jobs section
- Prospects - Explore Sectors: Engineering.pdf
- Prospects Job Profiles – Engineering, manufacturing and production
- UK Space Agency - coordinates UK civil space activity. The site has the latest news and events and provides information on the different careers in the industry
Reference books available from My Career Zone:
Vault Guide to the Top Engineering Firms
Places where you can find job vacancies
- My Career Zone - our vacancy database with employers who are targeting University of Exeter students.
- Career Engineer
- EE Times UK - news and information website for the engineering community in the UK, including a daily digest of the top business, technology and product stories from the EE Times Network, a worldwide network of journalists and reporters focused exclusively on the electronics industry
- Electronics Weekly
- Engineering Internships
- Fast Stream - entry to the Civil Service including Science and Engineering Fast Stream
- Government Communications Centre - software and electronic design engineers
- Graduate-jobs.com - Engineering
- Gradcracker - Engineering recruitment site
- Graduate Recruitment Bureau - agency includes jobs in Engineering and Manufacturing
- Hays Recruitment Agency - Engineering and Manufacturing jobs
- Inside Careers Vacancies – Engineering and technology
- Just Engineers - engineering recruitment site
- Matchtech.com - engineering and technical job agency with section for new graduates
- MOD - jobs and information for scientists and engineers in the defence industry
National Newspapers - Science, engineering and technology
National Newspapers Jobs supplement
- The Times (you need a subscription)
- The Daily Telegraph (Thursday)
- The Guardian (Saturday)
- The Observer: (Sunday)
- Financial Times
- The Independent
- New Electronics- is the online version of the magazine, New Electronics, which includes information on careers and advertises vacancies.
- Nuclear graduates - jobs in the nuclear industry
- Prospects Jobs Vacancies - Engineering, Manufacturing and Production and/or Construction and Property Management
- Space Careers- a specialist niche jobs board run by space professionals. It includes a job centre advertising vacancies, the largest space industry directory on the web (with direct links to the employment sections of many companies) and a news and resources section which includes links to many professional bodies
- TARGETjobs Vacancies Search under 'Civil engineering', 'Construction', 'Engineering' and/or 'IT & telecoms'.
- The Graduate
- Topengineeringjobs -job board that lists many engineering roles in different sectors in the UK and abroad
- UK Engineering Recruitment - site includes section for graduate positions
- Association for Consultancy and Engineering (ACE) - the UK's leading trade association for engineering, technical and management consultancies. The site has a searchable database of consultants, as well as information about the industry and job vacancies
- Association for the Advancement of Cost Engineering (AACE) - international professional body for cost engineers
- Association of Noise Consultants (ANC) - offers membership to those working in the fields of noise and vibration. The site provides a list of members, as well as information on courses and education
- Chartered Quality Institute (CQI) - leading professional body for the advancement of quality practices in the UK
- Chemicals Industry Association (CIA) - UK’s leading trade association for the chemical and chemistry-using industries, representing members both nationally and internationally. Site includes links to member companies
- Commisioning Specialists Association (CSA) - is an association for the commissioning industry within the construction world. Members include commissioning engineers and the site has information on training plus links to members and other relevant organisations
- Energy UK - the trade association for the energy industry
- European Society for the Precision Engineering and Nanotechnologies (EUSPEN) - a membership-based organisation offering training and events for professionals.
- Institute of Acoustics (IOA) - is a fully professional institute with members being active in all aspects of acoustics. The site has information on education, training and professional registration and also advertises job vacancies
- Institute of Marine Engineers, Science and Technology (IMarEST) - is an international professional membership body and learned society for all marine professionals. The website contains a section on careers within the industry, as well as advertising job vacancies in the UK
- Institute of Materials, Minerals & Mining (IOM3) - the professional body for the international materials, minerals and mining community. The website provides extensive information on careers and lists the latest job vacancies
- Institute of Measurement & Control (InstMC)- is a professional qualifying body for engineers working in measurement & control. The website advertises job opportunities, as well as an A - Z of companion companies
- Institute of Nanotechnology - aims to be the foremost global nanotechnology information provider and membership organisation. The site includes a careers and job vacancy section as well as course information
- Institute of Operations Management (IOM) - professional body for persons involved in production and operations management in manufacturing, service industries and the public sector
- Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine (IPEM) - is the professional body which guides and promotes the role of the physical scientist and engineer working within healthcare in the UK. The website contains job listings and information on careers.
- Institute of Sound & Communications Engineers (ISCE) - a specialist society for sound and communications professionals
- Institute of the Motor Industry (IMI) - is a professional body for individuals working in the retail motor industry. The site has details on education and qualifications, industry insights, career information and employer links
- Institution of Agricultural Engineers (IAgrE) - membership is open to a wide spectrum of professionals who work in land-based industries including engineers, scientists and managers. The site includes career information and job vacancies
- Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) - an international membership organisation that promotes and advances civil engineering around the world. ICE is a qualifying body, a centre for the exchange of specialist knowledge, and a provider of resources to encourage innovation and excellence in the profession worldwide
- Institution of Chemical Engineers (IChemE) - a leading international professional body that provides services and support for all those involved in chemical, biochemical and process engineering. The website provides career information and advice for students and graduates
- Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) - leading professional society representing electrical and electronic engineers, with offices globally. The website has a good section on careers and training
- Institution of Engineering Designers (IED) - is an accredited professional body whose website contains information for students including professional training and work placements
- Institution of Lighting Engineers (ILE) - the UK and Ireland's largest and most influential professional lighting association. Website contains information on training and job vacancies
- Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) - a professional organisation representing mechanical engineers. The website offers information on professional registration and training, as well as industry insights into areas such as aerospace, manufacturing, automobile and railway. It also advertises job vacancies
- Institution of Railway Signal Engineers (IRSE) - is a professional body established for the advancement of the science and practice of railway signalling, telecommunications and related matters
- Institution of Structural Engineers (IstructE) - the world's leading professional body for qualifications and standards in structural engineering
- International Federation of Automotive Engineering Societies (FISITA) - an independent world body for automotive engineering. The site has information on careers in the auto-industry as well as job vacancies
- International Marine Contractors Association (IMCA) - the international trade association representing offshore, marine and underwater engineering companies. The site has a good careers section including links to members’ recruitment websites
- Motorsport Industry Association (MIA) - provides information on a range of topics related to the motorsport industry, including careers in motorsports
- National Microelectronics Institute (NMI) - trade association representing the semiconductor industry in the UK and Ireland, helping to build and support a strong micro and nano-electronics community. There is a small vacancies section and also a comprehensive members list which offers a useful starting point to research potential electronics employers
- Nuclear Institute - is the result of a merger between the British Nuclear Energy Society and the Institution of Nuclear Engineers. The website contains latest news and a comprehensive list of sites that are directly or indirectly related to issues associated with nuclear energy
- Railway Industry Association (RIA) - is the trade association for this industry. It provides a directory of members as well as advertising job vacancies
- Royal Aeronautical Society - professional body that caters for the entire aerospace community. They are able to act as a 'one stop shop' for all queries relating to the aerospace industry including career queries
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME) - the world's leading professional society supporting lifelong manufacturing education
- Society of Operations Engineers (SOE) - membership organisation for engineers in the transport, plant and engineering surveying industries. The site has information on the industry, education and courses and advertises job opportunities
- UK Petroleum Industry Association (UKPIA) - represents the oil refining and marketing industry in the United Kingdom. Site contains lots of useful information about current issues in the downstream (refining, sales & distribution) petroleum industry
Places for lists of employers or companies in this sector
- Best Companies Guide
- Times Top 100 by Sector
- Top Construction, Civil Engineering and Surveying companies
- Top Engineering, Design, and Manufacturing companies
- Wikijob - information on companies, application and assessment procedures, typical interview questions
Post Graduate Study and Professional Development
- Find a PhD.com - searchable database of PhD opportunities and post doc jobs throughout the UK in science, engineering, maths and social science.
- KTP Knowledge Transfer Partnerships - research and development vacancies in smaller companies in association with universities.
- Prospects: Search Postgraduate courses and research opportunities.
- The institutes and professional bodies above often have lists or databases of accredited courses.