This sector embraces careers in banking, accountancy, insurance, financial planning, investments and pensions, and tax and offers a wide range of job opportunities. This sector has always been a very popular career choice for Exeter graduates, and organisations recruiting in this sector have a high profile on campus.
For the most competitive jobs in this field you will need a strong academic background, but employers will also look for evidence of achievement in non-academic areas such as sport, student societies or volunteering in the community.
Work experience and internships in this sector will enhance your chances in most areas of employment, and an increasing number of organisations now offer graduate employment to students who have a successful placement with the company. For placements, internships or vacation schemes you should apply early in your first and/or penultimate year at Exeter.
- Careerplayer.com – select ‘Accountancy and Financial Services
- icould.com – select ‘Financial Services’
- Directions – provides useful information on a wide range of financial services
- efinancialnews.com – particularly useful for asset management and investment banking
- Financial Times – information on current affairs and companies within the sector
- Finance Jobs Puzzle - Top Employers - This game helps you understand how the financial services market is divided up.
- Exeter University Career Mentor Scheme - feedback from students who have participated in career mentor schemes in this sector
A number of reference books are available from the Career Zone. These include: All you need to know about the City, Student to CEO, Heard on the Street, ICAEW Directory of Firms 2010 - South West, Vault Career Guide to Investment Management, Vault guide to the top 25 Banking Employers, Quicklook at Accountancy, How to get an Equity Research Analyst job.
Places where you can find Financial Services related vacancies
- My Career Zone - our vacancy database offers opportunities with employers who are targeting University of Exeter students
- Prospects Job Vacancies
- TARGETjobs Vacancies
- Inside Careers Vacancies – Graduate jobs and internships in accounting and financial services
- Accountancy Age - jobs section includes trainee and graduate positions
- Graduate-jobs.com – Accounting, banking and finance vacancies
- Graduate Recruitment Bureau – Accounting, banking and finance jobs
- GradNav - information, jobs and internships in investment banking
- Hays Recruitment Agency – Accounting and finance jobs
- The Graduate
- Jobs for Economics Graduates - jobs in economics and related areas
- GrowinFinance Finance & Banking job openings in USA, Europe, Asia & Africa
Most national newspapers have advertisements for graduate vacancies. You can look at the newspapers’ websites and sign up to get alerts about new vacancies. Opportunities in different sectors are advertised on specific days of the week in each newspaper. Financial services jobs are advertised as follows:
The Daily Telegraph (Thursday)
The Times (Thursday, you need a subscription)
The Independent (Wednesday)
The Observer (Sunday)
- ICAEW - Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales - site includes searchable directory of firms and list of training vacancies
- ICAS - Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland - site includes training vacancies
- ICSA - Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators
- CIMA - Chartered Institute of Management Accountants - site includes a directory of opportunities on the prospective students page
- Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy - site includes training vacancies
- Chartered Institute of Taxation
- ACCA - Association of Chartered Certified Accountants
- Faculty and Institute of Actuaries - careers page includes a jobs section
- Management Consultancies Association - Directory and careers information
- Chartered Banker Institute
Sources of Information on Employers or Companies in the Sector
- Best Companies Guide
- Times Top 100 by Sector – milkround.com
- Wikijob - information on companies, application and assessment procedures and typical interview questions
- List of Financial Companies in United Kingdom - Manta
- insidebuzz - Information and reviews of financial organisations
- Kompass Directory - international business database
- Opening City Doors - a blog with information on the financial industry, interviews and effective networking
Post Graduate Study and Professional Development
- Find a PhD.com - searchable database of PhD opportunities and post doc jobs throughout the UK in science, engineering, maths and social science.
- KTP Knowledge Transfer Partnerships - research and development vacancies in smaller companies in association with universities.
- Prospects: Search Postgraduate courses and research opportunities.