These free courses and events are being part-funded by the European Social Fund, part of the European Structural and Investment Fund 2014-2020 Programme in England, and being delivered through the Widening Participation through Skills in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly Project.
Citizen Journalism News Network
- Course 1 start: Dates TBC
- Course duration: TBC
- Location: Penwith Community Development Trust & Coast FM, Penzance
- The course is a series of 12 sessions that run in two blocks across a period of 13 weeks. The first block is for two weeks, the second block is ten weeks. Upon successful completion of this course you will be awarded 15 credits at Level 3 in Citizen Journalism News Network.
- Course 2 start: Dates TBC
- Course duration: TBC
- Location: Treverbyn Community Hall & Radio St Austell Bay, St Austell
- The course is a series of 12 sessions that run in two blocks across a period of 13 weeks. The first block is for three weeks, the second block is nine weeks. Upon successful completion of this course you will be awarded 15 credits at Level 3 in Citizen Journalism News Network.
This course aims to give you the skills to tell the stories that matter. You will be working alongside colleagues to form a local broadcasting network, which will produce relevant news bulletins that will be used on local radio stations as well as a bespoke online local news platform.
You will spend 12 sessions learning how to research, write, read and record the important new stories from in and around your area. Each week of the course is structured to offer you the opportunity to steadily build up skills that could lead to professional broadcasting roles such as researcher, editor, producer or presenter.
The course offers detailed instruction on news gathering, documentary production, audio recording, editing, writing scripts for broadcast, vocal presentation, weather, travel and elements of online news presentation. You will receive advice and instruction from skilled media professionals and academic supervisors.
Please note that courses 1 and 2 are independent of one another. Participants do not have to attend both courses and can choose either the Penzance location during Monday afternoons or the St Austell location on Thursday afternoons.
Book your place
To find out more about our free short courses or to register your interest in this course please contact the Project Support Officer.