Our Advisors can provide one-to-one guidance and information on all aspects of academic study and skills, including:
- Essay writing
- Scientific Report Writing
- Managing dissertations
- Giving presentations
- Time management and prioritising
- Critical reading and note making
- Revision strategies and exam techniques
- Citation, Referencing and avoiding plagiarism
- English for Academic Purposes (for International and EU students)
We also provide a feedback service on written assignments. However, this is not a proofreading service. If you would like feedback on your assignment please email it to us telling us what you wish to focus on, e.g. structure, referencing, critical analysis, grammar and punctuation, or understanding the tutor’s feedback. You can then book an individual appointment, but please allow at least three full working days for us to read your assignment. We will read the whole assignment and can give detailed feedback on up to two sides of A4.
Our service complements any support offered within academic schools. We ask all students where possible to attend relevant support and guidance from personal tutors and activities in their academic schools. We can offer individual appointments and small group tutorials as well as lunchtime seminars via The Writing Centre (current term’s programme posted here). Workshops can be organised in schools at the request of both students and/or academics. English Language Classes are available for International and EU students – the current term’s programme is posted here.
Information and guidelines for using the service
- In your initial email, please tell us what programme you are studying and what you would like help with.
- Individual appointments last between 30 minutes and 1 hour.
- Sessions are always tailored to individual needs.
- A maximum of five students can be accommodated in a group tutorial.
- You must inform us beforehand if you are unable to attend a booked appointment, so that the time can be offered to another student.
- Limited email support is possible, but telephone support is not.
To book an appointment to see an Advisor at the Cornwall Campus, please come to the ASK Office in Tremough House or you can:
Phone: 01326 370438