"The University of Exeter provide numerous opportunities for Apprentices every year. They provide an outstanding commitment to students through offering high quality and well-structured work experience to ensure future Apprentices are ideally suited for the roles they take on. They continually look to develop their Apprenticeship provision and were the first employer to commit fully to the higher Apprenticeship provision with Exeter College. Regardless of scale, the University of Exeter supports each individual every step of the way". (Exeter College apprenticeship awards)
Are you wanting to kick start your career and gain highly sought after skills, qualifications and work experience in a Russell Group University? Look no further, this apprenticeship scheme will give you the skills, confidence and qualifications to join our Higher Education’s next generation of technical teams.
Visit the University Apprenticeships website for more details on apprenticeships.
A guide to apprenticeships factsheet from the UK government.
Streatham Campus (Exeter)
Working in partnership with Exeter College, the following apprenticeships are available at the University of Exeter, Streatham Campus:
- Engineering - Mechanical HNC/HND - next entry September 2019.
Penryn Campus (Cornwall)
Working in partnership with Cornwall College Group, the following apprenticeships are available at the University of Exeter, Penryn Campus:
- L3 Laboratory Technician - next entry September 2017.
- L3 Engineering Apprenticeship - next entry September 2017.
The successful apprentice will be or have:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Self-driven and highly motivated
- Ability to work individually, and as part of a team
- Initiative and problem solving skills
- Willingness to learn, and put into practice, new technical skills
- A positive, can do, attitude
- An aptitude for practical tasks (Dexterity)
The successful apprentice will be or have:
- Well organised
- A willingness and desire to develop yourself both personally and professionally
As you learn and develop on the apprentice scheme, you’ll be taking home a salary which has the potential to grow as you gain more experience (depending on the duration of your apprenticeship scheme).
Pay Rates: Your salary will range from c£12,000 to £19,000 per year depending on length of your apprenticeship, and will increase one spine point annually on 1 August each year.
Personal and Professional Development
- Additional FREE training opportunities through our, UK HEI best practice, “Technical Staff Structured Development Framework”.
- FREE initial membership of a relevant Professional Body.
- Encouragement and support to work towards Professional Registration.
- FREE registration with HEaTED - the leading provider of professional development and networking opportunities for all disciplines of the technical workforce in higher and further education, and related organisations across the UK. HEaTED is supported by the Gatsby Charitable Foundation.
You will be given a generous holiday allowance of 39 days (28 discretionary, 8 bank holidays and 3 closure days).
You may be eligible to join the University of Exeter Retirement Benefits Scheme (ERBS) provided that you meet the qualifying criteria for membership. Subject to meeting the eligibility criteria, you will automatically become members unless they opt out in accordance with the current rules of the scheme and employee contributions will be taken from your pay.
You will automatically become a member of the Staff Association (www.ex.ac.uk/staff association) where you will be entitled to a great range of discounts, and have access to events and activities.
The University of Exeter also boasts fantastic sports and leisure facilities.
Our recruitment process is designed to make sure that you're right for us and we're right for you. If you're successful in joining us, you'll be on the path to a rewarding career that offers the chance to be part of the UK's energy future. Here's how to get started.
- Apply via the National Apprenticeship Website - It's really important to ensure that your answers are relevant and to the point as recruiters will have a large number of applications to read. You should include examples to back up your statements. Include any relevant hobbies or interests. Be sure to take the time to fill these applications out thoroughly.
- Top tip: applicants should read the gov.uk guidance on how to write an award winning application.
- Application review/shortlisting - Your application will be carefully reviewed/shortlisted. We’ll take into account your educational qualifications, skills and experience, and we’ll let you know you whether or not you’ll be progressing to the next stage of the recruitment process as soon as possible.
- Interviews and assessments - If we like the look of your application, and shortlist you, you’ll be invited for an interview and maybe to undertake some assessments at the University. You will be told the outcome of your interview and assessments shortly after (within 14 days).