Your Career Development
With a dedicated careers coach and strong links to the Career Zone, we provide support exploring your career options, and successfully apply for jobs through the following:
We also offer WEBINARs on:
- What can I do with a research degree?
Our PGRs have access to 1-2-1 face-to-face, telephone or skype appointments with experienced Careers Consultants through the Career Zone. You can book an appointment to discuss your careers options, get feedback on a job application or help with an interview. Just visit My Career Zone and click on the ‘Appointments’ tab here.
You will continue to have access to our Career Consultants up to 3 years after you graduate!
As part of our online training resources, you can undertake Profiling for Success – an online suite of self-assessment tools that can help you in your personal and career development, and about how you can use these tools effectively. You can use these tools to understand more about:
- How your abilities relate to career choices
- Your learning style and how you can become a more effective learner
- Your preferences and how these relate to your strengths and possible areas for development
InterviewStream is a video interviewing tool, which allows you to take practice interviews to prepare for both online and face-to-face interviews. The software slows you to take a ready-made interview or structure your own, choosing from over 7000 pre-recorded questions.
As a postgraduate researcher you have access to all the careers support available through the Career Zone. This includes:
- Career Mentor Scheme – an opportunity to be matched with an experienced professional to gain one-to-one careers advice, support and guidance into their profession and sector for up to 6 months.
- eXepert Scheme – an opportunity to contact University alumni to gain advice on how to enter their chosen sector, work for a certain company, become self-employed or benefit from possible networking opportunities and contacts.
- Careers Fairs – the Career Zone deliver a range of careers fairs designed to provide you with access to a range of employers offering part-time work, internships, graduate and postgraduate opportunities.