FCH ...

facebook logo

The Exeter Award

Enhance your employability


  • combine subjects not otherwise possible at Exeter
  • cross-subject degrees to suit your interests and career ambitions
  • leads to a named degree title of the subjects you study
  • study two subjects, or sometimes three
  • create your own themed pathway
  • vary the proportion of the subjects each year
  • add vocational elements to your studies
  • opportunities for study and work abroad


Work or study - Bologna University - Frankfurt offices - TESOLSpend a year studying or working abroad, or even a combination of the two for a year. It adds so much to a degree! And to you!

As the world becomes more interconnected and globalised, being culturally sensitive is essential to communicating effectively with stakeholders, clients and business partners from diverse backgrounds. FCH is a strong advocate for embracing global exposure as part of the degree. This comes in the form of international student exchanges, vacation study programmes and overseas internships. Such global exposure takes students out of their comfort zones and deepens their understanding of cultural and social norms – developing their worldview and moulding them into culturally sensitive individuals who are ready to take on the world.

Research conducted by the University shows that Exeter graduates who spent some time abroad during their degree obtain a better degree classification and are more likely to be in graduate level employment.

What is it?

What you do while studying or working abroad depends very much on what you want to get out of it.

  • Studying
    • You take modules that relate to your degree subjects in a foreign institution (usually a University)
    • You attend lectures and classes with the 'local' students
    • There are also summer schools abroad you can attend during your vacations
  • Working
    • You work in a company abroad
    • You could work in a school or college teaching English as a foreign language - and to prepare for this you could take modules in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
    • One way of finding work abroad is to use the University's Global Employability web pages.
    • ELE information on working abroad - provided by Global Emplolyability, Careers Zone

But whatever you do, and wherever you go, you will gain tremendously from the experience!


A year abroad usually takes place after your second year in Exeter, as part of a four-year degree.

It is not possible to spend a semester/term abroad as part of a FCH degree.

It may be possible for you to have two different locations or types of study/work during the year (e.g. one student spent part of the year at a French university and part working for Air France).

We will email you during the autumn term of your second year at Exeter, inviting you to come to find out more.

There are also summer schools abroad you can attend during your vacations. These do not count towards your degree, but provide valuable experience and are very enjoyable.

Lake ComoWhere?

The University has links with many foreign institutions in Europe and beyond.

If you want to work abroad, the University has some links with employers, but you can also find your own placement, provided we are happy it is suitable (e.g. you are not just working in a bar or being a cleaner!) .

RomeForeign Languages

If you need to develop a foreign language for your period abroad, it is best to start this in your first year. Let us know about this when you apply to Exeter or when you first arrive here and we can help arrange things through the University's Foreign Language Centre or appropriate Modern Language department.


There are several ways you can spend a period abroad, depending on the subjects you are studying:

  • One or more of your subject areas may have a study or work abroad module you could use.
  • If you are studying a foreign language:
    • a) Through Modern Languages. If you take a minimum of 60 credits of the language across years one and two through Modern Languages, the Modern Language's abroad co-ordinator helps you arrange study or work abroad in the appropriate country, and if you are studying abroad rather than working, using a university link owned by Modern Languages.
    • b) Through the Foreign Language Centre (FLC). The FLC does not send or facilitate students going abroad. You consequently go abroad through one of your other subject links, through a FCH link or work abroad. You cannot use any Modern Languages study abroad links.
  • You can follow one of the FCH modules for study or work abroad:
    • Study - one year
    • Work - one year
    • Study and Work - one year (details forthcoming)

Requirements – year one marks

You need a minimum overall average of 60% from your first year to be able to go abroad.

Places are allocated competitively by first-year averages, so the higher your average, the better chance you have of going to one of your favoured locations. If your first-year average is not high enough to secure one of your desired places, you will be invited to consider other locations.

Competition for places can be very strong, with many applications having very high first-year average marks. Consequently some specific locations may only be viable considerations for students who gain averages of at least the high 60s. This is likely to be particularly so for North America, Australia and New Zealand.

If you are studying a European language for 60 credits across years one and two, you can normally go to the appropriate European country if your overall first-year average is less than 60%.

Requirements - pass Stage 2

You must have passed your second stage before starting the period of study abroad. This includes taking any deferred or referred assessments for stage 2 modules.

Requirements – language

If you want to study in a University that does not teach in English, you need to have achieved a pass in at least Level 2 (now called Level 5) (Modern Language modules) or Advanced Level (Foreign Language Centre modules) in the appropriate language.


The general cost will depend on where you go. On top of general living costs there will be insurance and if you go outside Europe there may also be visa fees.


Outside Europe:

If you are working, rather than studying abroad, you may be paid by your employer, or they may regard the work as an unpaid placement/internship where the main benefit is the experience. If you are working in Europe, any payment from an employer is in addition to the Erasmus+ funding.

There is a fee to pay to Exeter for the year abroad, whether you are working or studying. The fee is much smaller than the usual tuition fee - details.

More information about costs, including scholarships, for study abroad.

More information