The purpose of this workplace Induction is to make your transition into your new role as smooth as possible. The process will give you information about the University and your College/Professional Service as well as how you and your team fit into this structure.
The tabs below detail information that you will go over with your Induction Facilitator. You can download our induction checklist before you meet with your facilitator to ensure you cover everything during your induction.
Welcome and introduction
- Meet Induction Facilitator for College/Professional Service
- Welcome to the College/Professional Service
- Introduction to colleagues, Head of Service and other key personnel
- Place(s) of work, address, keys and access
- Start/finish times: hours of work (staff other than academic), timing of lunch breaks
- Tour of building – to include location of toilets, tea/coffee/water facilities, arrangements and rooms
- Assistance with access or other special needs – refer on any requirements to line manager
- Fire exits, fire evacuation procedure and assembly point. How to raise the alarm, when is the fire alarm test day
- Explain First Aid Procedures – Identify how to contact a First Aider in the building, accident reporting
- IT account creation
- How and when paid
- Annual holiday entitlement explained including how to book holidays
- Bank Holiday/ Special leave
- Update personal Information
- Health & Safety Introduction
- Equality & Diversity Introduction
- Other compulsory courses due to job role/grade
Absence from work
- Sickness absence code of practice – Explain arrangements for reporting absence from work
Car parking and campus security
- Exeter Security
- Penryn Security
- University Minibus service
- Stagecoach bus service – Exeter
- Bus service U1 – Cornwall
- Sustainable Travel Options
- Car parking and permits
Your job role and working environment
- Access to photocopier – codes, use of Print Services
- Useful contacts and how to find contact information. Online look up: phone numbers and email
- Use of telephones – How to set up voice mail, telephone user manual
- Outlook Email - email signatures, use of “My Exeter”, Set up out of office, calendar
- Mail arrangements/pigeon holes.
- Recycling and waste disposal facilities for building/work area
- Campus Services Help Desk - Forms
- Administration/secretarial organisation of College/Professional Service.
- Other induction information specific to College/Professional Service.
- Further job/role specific information via line manager. Discuss and agree with line manager key objectives of role (record on appraisal documentation) within three months
- Identify date with line manager of first probation review.
- Relocation information (if applicable)
- Performance Development Review
- HR and Payroll documentation completed (P45/P46, contract, PD18 salary payment details, ID check)
- University ID card
- Membership of Pension scheme
- Application forms to be completed for SITS, Aptos etc.
- Staff Life
- Benefits, Rewards and Recognition Above and Beyond
Learning and Development
- Where the employee manages others, ensure they book themselves on compulsory training
- Learning and Development opportunities and You eDevelop
Health, safety and wellbeing
- Health & Safety InductionHSI01 Incident reporting form
- HSI01 Incident reporting form
- Eye Sight Testing
- Care First
Policies and procedures
- Health and Safety policy
- Equality and diversity – Dignity and Respect Policy
- HR policies and procedures
- Terms and conditions of employment
- Visual Identity
- IT user registration
- University Sustainability Policy – location of showers, cycle parking, recycling and waste disposal facilities
- Parents and Carers
- Trade Union membership information
- Records management, data protection and freedom of information
- Finance Policy – Expenses, Procurement
- University Documents and Policies
- History of the University
- Profile of the University
- University Vision and Values
- Our strategies
- University Management Structure
- Aims of your College/Professional Service
- University Calendar
Facilities and other useful information
- Information on places to eat, shops and banks.
- Campus maps and directions: Cornwall, St Luke's, and Streatham
- Virtual tours: Cornwall campus, St Luke's campus and Streatham campus. Penryn
- Sports facilities: Exeter campuses and Penryn Campus, Cornwall
- Library – Exeter Campus and Penryn Campus
- Staff Social areas
- Student's Guild
- Multi-faith Chaplaincy
- Wellbeing Map
- Sculpture Walk
- Local Exeter/Cornwall information
Each Academic College and Professional Service will complement the core University induction with relevant local induction. As a minimum, it is encouraged that new staff are introduced to:
- Other local staff
- Work space
- Work building
- Local facilities
- Role (from manager)
Your manager plays an important role in your induction. In particular, they will clarify your job role and key responsibilities ensuring that you are clear on specific targets for the first year. In some cases, these may be clearer after a couple of months. Your manager is also likely to introduce you to other staff who you will be working with. They will also be able to make you aware of operational processes and policies.
Within your area, we anticipate that you will be:
- introduced to other staff
- made aware of various facilities
- familiarised with your building and other relevant locations
Each area has its own individual local induction requirements which will form an addition to the core University induction. This local induction may continue over a few months depending on the nature of your job role and the responsibilities you hold and may involve a number of staff.
Evaluation of induction
We would appreciate your completion of the Induction Evaluation. It means that the process of induction can be monitored and improved. Our aim is that all staff will report on their experience of induction to their new College/Service. Any comments that you provide may be quoted to your College/Professional Service in a generalised form and used to improve induction across the organisation as well as at a local level.
- Please complete the evaluation: Induction Evaluation online form.
- If required, download and print the . Please send your completed form to: People Development, Room 106, Old Library, University of Exeter, Exeter, EX4 4QJ.