Erasmus grants

Erasmus students are eligible to receive a mobility grant which is allocated to them from money which comes originally from the EU Commission in Brussels and passes through the UK National Agency (the British Council) to individual universities. The International Office is responsible for allocating this money. The grant amount varies from year to year and is calculated according to each student’s destination country and length of study period abroad. These grants are not means tested and you do not have to repay them, unless the relevant paperwork is not returned or you leave your placement before the due date. The grant is intended as a contribution only, not a full maintenance grant and will assist but not cover all of the extra expenses of studying abroad.

Grants will be allocated in two payments. The first allocation is made to students who have returned all the relevant documentation normally from mid-November. With each payment you will receive an ACKNOWLEDGMENT OF RECEIPT which must be signed and returned immediately so that you can receive the second allocation which is paid later in the year, normally in June, after all your paperwork has been received.

To receive the grant at the earliest allocation dates you must complete and return:

For your first allocation

  • Bank Account Details must be inputted onto the Finance tab in your student portal prior to departure.  Please note the grant will be paid into sterling bank accounts only.
  • Erasmus Student Mobility Contract prior to departure .
  • Learning Agreement signed and stamped by your host university if you are completing a study placement, as soon as possible after your arrival.
  • Certificate of Arrival signed and stamped by your host university/employer once you have arrived at your host placement.

For your second allocation

  • Acknowledgement of receipt for your first allocation
  • Certificate of Attendance
  • Student Report Form.

The first allocation of your grant will total 70% of your overall grant, the second allocation will total the remaining 30% of your overall grant.  Please see the tables below for further information.

How will my Erasmus grant be paid if I am attending two placements rather than one full year placement?

If you are attending more than one placement over the course of your time abroad, the structure of your grant payments will be different to those students attending one full year placement.  Your grant will be paid as follows:

  • 1st allocation for your 1st placement
  • 1st allocation for your 2nd placement
  • 2nd allocation for your1st placement
  • 2nd allocation for your 2nd placement

How much Erasmus grant will I receive?

The grant amounts and country band levels have been set by the European Commission.

 2013/14

BAND 3
Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland
Overall grant amount: €375 per month
1st allocation: €262.5 per month (70% of €375)
2nd allocation: €112.5 per month (30% of €375)
BAND 2
Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Greece, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey
Overall grant amount: €315 per month
1st allocation: €220.5 per month (70% of €315)
2nd allocation: €94.5 per month (30% of €315)
BAND 1
Bulgaria, Romania
Overall grant amount: €275 per month
1st allocation: €192.5 per month (70% of €275)
2nd allocation: €82.5 per month (30% of €275)