Experience the University of Exeter for yourself at one of our three campuses - all in the stunning countryside of South West England.
Students from any university outside the European Union* are welcome to apply as a full-time fee-paying Study Abroad student. You can study modules in a variety of different undergraduate subjects, for a full year or a single semester. You will often be required to have academic background knowledge of the modules you wish to take.
The University of Exeter requires Study Abroad students to have completed a minimum of one year of a university degree, and have a GPA of 3.0 or above.
English language Requirements
Overseas applicants whose first language is not English must have a standard level of English that will enable them to benefit fully from their course of study. The English language qualifications accepted by the University for entry and the required scores can be found on the Undergraduate Study entry requirements page, under 'English Language'. Note that we accept IELTS (academic), TOEFL IBT and a number of alternative types of evidence.
*If you are an independent fee-paying applicant from within the EU, please contact the Admissions Office at Admissions@exeter.ac.uk for an application form.
- Copy of your Official Academic Transcript from your home university (this is the document that contains the grades you have achieved in your studies at university to date)
- Academic Reference/Letter of Recommendation (from someone who can comment on your academic ability)
- Personal Statement (your reasons for choosing Exeter)
- Copy of the ID information page of your passport (please enusre it is in date)
- Exeter Study Plan
- Evidence of English language level e.g. TOEFL/IELTS Certificates (where applicable). If English is not your first language we will require proof of your English language proficiency, our minimum requirements can be found on the Undergraduate Study entry requirements page. Please note that some departments require a higher level of English. Students planning to take modules from across different departments will normally need to satisfy the higher of any linguistic minima required; for example students taking one English module and two Archaeology modules will need the higher grade of IELTS 7.0 or equivalent.
- Make sure you are aware of the application deadlines and familiarise yourself with the academic calendar. Applications for the first semester/Full Year must reach us before the 30th April. Applications for the second semester must reach us before the 31st October. Any applications received after these dates may be considered at the University’s discretion.
- Unless you are a British or European national, you will need a visa to study in the UK and must consider which one best meets your needs. The visa type will depend on the length of your study and what you wish to do while you are here. View our Immigration Advice pages for more information.
- Consider your module choices. You must choose the majority of modules within one subject area in order to avoid timetable clashes. Please note that your modules will be finalised on your arrival to Exeter.
- Gather together the additional supporting documentation required to be submitted with your application form (see above).
- You are now ready to apply online! Follow the instructions carefully in the Application Guide Study Abroad Fee Paying.
- On submitting your application you will receive an automated response acknowledging receipt. Please do not log back into your application once submitted.
- Please be patient as we process your application. You should expect to hear from us after the application deadline date - once a decision has been made you will be sent by email your student ID number and information on how to apply for University accommodation (you cannot apply for university accommodation until you receive your student ID number). Your official acceptance letter will be posted to your International Office at a later date.
You will now receive a number of emails from the University designed to help you prepare for your studies! Do you have any questions? Check our Frequently Asked Questions webpage for answers.