Global Chums 2016
The University of Exeter's biggest mentor scheme
Did you complete a placement abroad and want to extend your global experiences to your time at Exeter? Do you love the University of Exeter? Do you enjoy talking to people? Are you friendly, knowledgeable and enthusiastic? Do you want to help new international students settle in?
Then you are just the kind of person who would be a perfect Global Chums Mentor!
Every year over 100 mentors sign up for the programme and are allocated up to 4 new international students.
Deadline for application is EXTENDED TO 1 August 2016.
Being a Global Chums Mentor:
- Provides international students with a local university student who has been trained to help them adapt to life in the UK and study at the University of Exeter
- Allows international students and local students to share each others’ cultures in a social environment
- Will formally run for the month before term (if you have been allocated chums) and the first 6 weeks of term, allowing for friendships to be continued throughout the year
- Will offer mentors the option to continue to term 2 to welcome new students starting then.
- be part of the largest mentoring programme on campus
- Reconnect with the University on your return from Study Abroad
- Fit the mentoring around your academic study
- Must have completed at least one year of study at the University of Exeter
- Global Chums can be used as credit towards the Exeter Award
- The programme runs for 6 weeks, starting on 26 September
If you would like to be considered as a Chum Mentor, it is essential that you are committed to the whole programme. This means you must:
- Attend one training session
- Reply to your chum’s emails / contact
- Try to attend the 2 social events, which will be held during the first term
- Respond to the Global Chums Exit Questionnaire
"From being a mentor I have gained an insight into new cultures and have gained leadership skills in helping and answering my chums questions ... I have also learnt many new things about the city from showing my chums around!"