Short-term study visas
The Short-Term Study (STS) visa is a 6 month maximum visa intended for short periods of study in the UK. This visa cannot be extended and work is prohibited (with the exception of students on medical electives).
A short-term study visa is suitable if you are:
- based overseas but need to visit the UK occasionally for short periods of study. For example, those coming to the UK for a period of research or electives as part of their studies overseas.
- a current PhD students on Distance Learning. Note: you can spend a total of no more than 56 days in the UK in any 6 month period.
- attending an exam in the UK then returning home. For example, current students coming to the UK for a resit exam or to attend their PhD viva voce examination. A Tier 4 visa is also an option.
- attending 1 semester on a Study Abroad course. A Tier 4 visa is also an option, and is essential if you are planning to work during your studies or are considering 2 semesters of study.
- attending the International Summer School.
Short-Term Study vs Tier 4
|Short-Term Study visa|| Tier 4 (General) visa
Entry Clearance: £97
Leave to Enter: free (non-visa nationals only)
|Entry Clearance: £348|
Entry Clearance: multiple entry
Leave to Enter: single entry (non-visa nationals only)
You should leave within 30 days of the end of your study or at the end of the 6 months whichever is sooner.
|1 week either side of official course dates|
|Extensions||Cannot be extended||Restricted|
|Work||Work not permitted||Restricted to 20* hours per week during term time|
You can study any short course in any combination as long as you finish within 6 months.
|Restricted. You are usually restricted to one course.|
*INTO students: duration and work restrictions can differ.
Different rules depending on nationality
There are different rules on how and where you can apply depending on your nationality. If you are from a country listed in Appendix 2, read through the information for visa nationals. If your nationality is not on the list, read through the information for non-visa nationals.