Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) and Qualifications

We know that international students will be worried by the Covid-19 situation and what it means for their immigration status and their studies in the UK. We are hosting live webinars throughout the summer to help students understand the latest visa advice and to assist them with preparing their visa applications. Check out our schedule of events HERE.

UPDATE (June): UK Visa Application Centres and English language testing centres are slowly re-opening however travel is restricted. The ATAS application service is now open. 

The Home Office has introduced a number of immigration concessions for students, outlined here: Coronavirus (COVID-19): Tier 4 sponsors, migrants and short-term students.

UKCISA regularly updates their advice for students here: Coronavirus (Covid-19): info for international students.

Students will also want to keep up-to-date with the University’s response to Covid-19 on our FAQ pages here: University of Exeter – Coronavirus (Covid-19) Information and Advice.

Finally, the trained immigration advisers in International Student Support are here to help with any questions or concerns you have during this difficult time. Please email us at and one of our advisers will respond as soon as possible.

CAS Number

Your CAS number will confirm that you have an offer to study at the University of Exeter or INTO Exeter. You will be sent a CAS statement that will include information about you, your programme of study and your CAS number which is your unique reference number provided by UK Visas and Immigration.   

If you are a new student you can find more information about the process for issuing CAS numbers on the undergraduate or postgraduate study pages. If you have a question about your CAS number please contact the Tier 4 CAS Team directly.

If you are a continuing student our office will issue your CAS number before you submit your application with us. If you are outside the UK contact us at least 2 months before you are due to return to your studies.   

When you complete your Tier 4 application form you will need to provide your CAS number and enter information onto the form which is provided in your CAS statement.  

Information in the CAS statement includes: 

  • Your name, nationality, date of birth and passport number 
  • The titlelevel and dates of your course 
  • The tuition fees for your course and any tuition fees or accommodation fees that you have already paid to the university 
  • The qualifications that the University or INTO have used to assess you are qualified to study your course 


In your CAS statement, under the heading ‘Documentation used as evidence of eligibility to study at the University of Exeter’ you will find listed your academic and English language qualifications that the university or INTO have used to assess that you are qualified to study your course.  

For each qualification listed on your CAS statement you will need to submit a scan of the following with your Tier 4 application: 

Your original official certificate showing: 

  • your name; and 
  • the title of the award; and 
  • the date of the award; and 
  • the name of the awarding institution 


Your original official transcript of results showing: 

  • your name; and 
  • the name of the academic institution; and 
  • your course title; and 
  • the confirmation of the award. 

Other considerations

Certain groups of students may need to consider additional information:

If your original documents are not in English you will also need to provide a fully certified translation by a professional translator or translation company. 

Any translations you submit with your application must include the following: 

  • Confirmation that it is an accurate translation of the original document 
  • The date of the translation 
  • The full name and signature of the translator or an official from the translation company 
  • The contact details of the translator / translation company 
  • Translations for applications submitted in the UK must also include the translator’s credentials (translation qualification) 

If the qualifications listed on your CAS are either the International Baccalaureate or A Levels and you have not yet received your original award certificate you should provide a print out from the online checking service of the awarding body confirming the result with your application. Your CAS should confirm that the university has verified your results via UCAS.  

If you have received your award certificate you should provide this with your application, this should be the case if you sat your exams in a previous academic year. 

Nationals of certain countries qualify for Tier 4 differentiation arrangements. If you qualify for differentiation arrangements, you do not need to submit evidence of previous qualifications with your initial visa application. However, UK Visas and Immigration can request that you submit full documents proving that you hold the qualifications listed on your CAS at any point during the application process. 

If you are applying in the UK, unless your CAS explicitly confirms that you completed your most recent UK course, you will need to submit evidence that you completed this course with your visa application, even if you qualify for differentiation.

» Application form

A guide to completing your Tier 4 application form.

» Money

Find out the amount of money required and how you can show this.

» Document list

A comprehensive final checklist for your Tier 4 visa application.