Document list: Tier 4

This list will help you to make sure that you have everything you need to successfully apply for your Tier 4 visa. It is extremely important that you provide the correct documents as described in each of the sections otherwise your application may be refused.  

Dependant section: read through this section if your spouse and children also need to apply for visas as your dependants. 

If any of the information you supply to UK Visas & Immigration is found to be fraudulent your visa will be rejected and you could be banned from entering the UK for 10 years.

Once you submit and pay for your online application, you should save and print:

  • your application form
  • UKVI document checklist
  • biometrics invitation letter (applications from inside UK only)

You must provide a current valid passport. 

If you have a current or previous UK visa issued on a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card, you must include it with your application. 

2 UK size passport photographs of yourself taken within the last month. You must ensure that your hair does not cover your face and you should not smile. Photos should be on a grey or cream background. 

Your CAS statement lists your CAS number and other important information which you will need to include on your application form 

Our Money section details the financial requirements for a Tier 4 application. 

If you are currently financially sponsored by a government or an international scholarship agency or your financial sponsorship ended within the past 12 months, you will need written permissions from your sponsor, confirming they have no objection to you continuing your studies in the UK.

Our Qualifications section details the academic and English language requirements for a Tier 4 application which are also listed on your CAS statementFor each qualification listed you will need to submit the original document.  

If your original documents are not in English you will also need to provide a fully certified translation by a professional translator or translation company. 

Any translations you submit with your application must include the following: 

  • Confirmation that it is an accurate translation of the original document 
  • The date of the translation 
  • The full name and signature of the translator or an official from the translation company 
  • The contact details of the translator / translation company 
  • Translations for applications submitted in the UK must also include the translator’s credentials (translation qualification) 

People who want to study at advanced levels within certain subject areas must obtain clearance certificates under the Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) before they make any immigration application to study, or extend their study period, in the UK. Further information about the scheme is available on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website. 
ATAS is only required for certain subject areas, including Computer Science, Physics, Medicine, Biosciences and Engineering, but all Masters and PhD students should check whether or not the requirement applies to them. It will be stated on your offer letter. 
You must apply for your ATAS certificate (via the above website) at least 4-6 weeks before you plan to apply for your visa. The certificate will be emailed to you and must be printed and included with your visa application. Note that you will need to provide your ATAS certificate to the University before your CAS can be issued. 

Visa extensions only: If you are already studying in the UK, and you are required to register with the police, you must submit an up-to-date police registration certificate including current visa status and address.

Entry clearance only: If you are a person from a country listed iAppendix T making an application for entry clearance to come to the UK for more than six months, you must present a valid medical certificate confirming that you have been tested for TB.

You won’t need a TB test if any of the following apply:

  • you’re a diplomat accredited to the UK
  • you’re a returning UK resident and haven’t been away for more than 2 years
  • you lived for at least 6 months in a country where TB screening is not required by the UK, and you’ve been away from that country for no more than 6 months


All children must see a clinician who’ll decide if they need a chest x-ray. Children under 11 will not normally have a chest x-ray. If the clinician decides your child doesn’t have TB they’ll give you a certificate. Include this certificate with your child’s UK visa application.

For more information click here.

If you are 16 or 17 when you apply for your visa, you will need to include a signed letter from your parents or legal guardian confirming:

  • The relationship between you and your parent(s) or legal guardian(s)
  • That your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) have given their consent to your application
  • That your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) have given their consent to you living independently in the UK; and
  • That your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) have given their consent to your independent travel to the UK; and
  • That your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) have legal custody or sole responsibility for you.

You will also need to include your original birth certificate, certificate of adoption or a court document naming your legal guardian.

Visa extensions only: If you submitting a postal application in the UK through our office, your visa application will be sent by Special Delivery. To use this service you will be required to pay £6 (£5 special delivery fee plus £1 for VAT) per mailing. For details of how to pay please visit our online store.  

The Home Office should not request any additional documents except in exceptional circumstances.  

» Application form

A guide to completing your Tier 4 application form.

» Money

Find out the amount of money required and how you can show this.

» CAS & Qualifications

Describes how you meet the visa conditions using your unconditional offer and previous qualifications.