Immigration - Tier 4 Super Guide

Question 2: Can I bring my family to the UK with me?

You can bring your husband, wife, unmarried partner, and children under 18 to the UK with you if you are studying a postgraduate course of 12 months or more. Your accompanying family members are referred to as your ‘dependants’ and there are special rules for them. If you are bringing your children to the UK with you, please note that recent immigration rule changes mean that both of the child’s parents must be coming to stay in the UK, so you cannot bring your children to the UK with you on your own.

Unfortunately, if your course is less than 12 months or below postgraduate level, you cannot bring your dependants to the UK with you. There are some exceptions, however, for government-sponsored students.

You cannot bring other family members such as parents or siblings to the UK with you as your dependants, although they can come for short visits on Visitor visas (see Inviting friends and family to visit)

In each of the following sections, where it is appropriate we will give specific information for students with dependants.  Dependants information sheet can be downloaded here: Tier 4 (dependent) checklist.

Next: Question 3: Where do I apply?

Back to the main Immigration page