Applying from outside the UK

Our Tier 4 Super Guide will ensure that you have all the information you need to submit your Tier 4 (General) Student visa application from outside the UK. If you are applying for a visa extension from within the UK, please follow the advice on our ‘Inside the UK’ pages instead. Biometric Residence Permits have now been introduced for applications made outside the UK.

Follow the steps below and you will have a thorough understanding of the visa rules and the process for submitting an excellent application. The Videos and Application Form Guides will give you the basics for a standard application, but make sure you refer to the Questions and Answers if your particular situation isn’t covered or you need further information about any aspect of the application process. Our Checklists will help you double-check that you have prepared everything correctly. Finally, you can Contact our expert immigration advisers if you have any questions.



From 12 November 2015students will need to show £1,015 per month towards the Tier 4 visa’s maintenance requirement (living expenses). The Home Office is also removing the ‘established presence’ provision so all students will need to show £1015 per month for the duration of their course or 9 months, whichever is shorter.


Credibility interviews continue for students applying for UK visas overseas. Make sure you are prepared by following the advice in Step 3: Question 13 below. This advice is also included in your pre-CAS information.