What do I do if my Biometric Residence Permit (BRP card) is lost or stolen outside the UK?

Don’t panic! Make sure you have checked everywhere it could possibly be. You will then need to do the following:

1. Report the loss or theft to the nearest police station and obtain a reference number or police report letter.

2. You must inform the Home Office that your BRP is lost/stolen by using the online service.

Get in touch with International Student Support by emailing sid@exeter.ac.uk giving details of your curernt situation and travel/ study plans for the next few months. There are some situations where BRP Replacement visas are not advisable and we will provide guidance on what is best for your situation. 

Most students will apply for a short one month replacement visa at the nearest British Embassy or Consulate. On your return to the UK, you will then need to apply for a full replacement BRP through the International Student Support Office. If you have lost your passport as well as your BRP card it is likely to take you some time to obtain the necessary replacement passport and visa to re-enter the UK so you may need to extend your time abroad while you complete the following steps:

1. Obtain a replacement passport from the nearest embassy for your country (or your passport office if you are in your home country)

2. We will send you copies of your missing passport/BRP card and your original CAS statement (see attachments in the email you receive from us). These scans, or the reference numbers they contain, may be required during the below processes. You also need to request that a scan of a student status letter is sent to you by the SID team; this letter will show that you remain a registered student at the University of Exeter.

Apply for a Replacement BRP visa (£189 + additional user pay fee in some countries). This is a temporary visa to enable you to re-enter the UK. Apply online here: www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/

You will need to register an account with this website (if you do not already have one) then click on "Apply for myself" to create your application form. Once you have done this, fill in/update your details, including your current location. Note the advice on this page pertinent to the country from which you are applying; in some countries there are supplementary forms / online processes to complete.

You will then complete the “Select Visa Type” section - make sure that you complete it as advised below. This is very important to ensure that the correct form is generated.

• Reason for Visit: Other

• Visa Type: Others

• Visa Sub-Type: Replacement Biometric Residence Permit

Fill in the online form and submit it, pay for it, and make an appointment according to the local instructions for your nearest UK embassy or visa application centre.

The Replacement BRP visa is a 30 day temporary visa which will allow you to travel back to Exeter. When you have obtained this temporary replacement visa and you have arrived back in Exeter, please contact International Student Support by replying to your SID enquiry as you will need to apply for a full replacement of your BRP visa card. This is called a BRP(RC) application and you must make this application within 1 month of re-entering the UK. It can take a couple of months for this application to be granted, so you should get advice as soon as possible upon your return. Our BRP RC Checklist lists the documents you will need.