What do I do if my passport is lost or stolen?

Whether in the UK or abroad you will need to do following:

1. Report the loss or theft to the local police and obtain a reference number or police report letter. In the UK report the loss or theft to the police online and keep the confirmation email that you receive

2. Obtain a replacement passport from the nearest embassy for your country.

If you are in the UK, the closest embassies are in London. Some embassies are able to issue new passports here in the UK while others only issue them in your home country and will only give you a travel document. Processing times vary between embassies so check with them directly.

If you are outside the UK check on your own government website for details of the nearest office.