The University has a very wide range of good-quality accommodation

University accommodation

The University has a very wide range of good-quality accommodation, from catered halls of residence for undergraduate students (where food is provided) to self-catered accommodation for undergraduates and postgraduates. All accommodation is within an easy walking distance of the city centre and campus facilities.

On the Penryn Campus all accommodation is self-catered and within a few minutes walk to the centre of campus.

The University guarantees a place in University accommodation to all unaccompanied international students for the first year of their studies – provided (a) they commence their studies in September, (b) the University has received a formal accommodation application form by 31st July, and (c) the accommodation deposit has also been received.

Please note that the University cannot guarantee accommodation to those students who apply after 31st July or to students who commence their studies after the start of the Academic Year. However, we do undertake to assist such students in every way we can.

Full details of University of Exeter accommodation and online booking for the Exeter campuses is available on the Accommodation Office website. For booking accommodation on the Penryn Campus please visit  

Private rental accommodation

A number of students, especially those with families, prefer to live in private rental accommodation close to the University. Please note that this can take time to arrange and it may be difficult find a suitable place directly from overseas. Landlords often require references and a substantial deposit.

Further information is available on the Accommodation Office private sector accommodation page. The Guild Advice Unit in Devonshire House offers a private accommodation contract-checking service which we strongly encourage anyone moving into private accommodation to take advantage of before signing a contract.

For students looking for private accommodation in Cornwall please contact the Accommodation Team on +44 (0) 1326 253639 or email

Please note that the University will not be involved in the vetting of private accommodation and contracts are signed at the student’s own risk.

Other sources of information on private rental accommodation including lettings agencies in the city of Exeter, and the web resource

Council Tax

Council Tax is the system of local taxation charged to all residents in the UK by the local County Councils to part fund public services such as waste disposal, policing, fire service, schools etc. Council Tax charges are based on the value of your property and the number of occupants. For more information about Exeter Council Tax charges see Exeter City Council's webpage. For more information about Cornwall Council Tax charges see the Cornwall Council webpage.


  • Students on a full-time course of over 24 weeks*
  • INTO students studying on one type of course (ie. 'English') for a continuous 3 terms
  • Students in University accommodation or Homestay

Exeter City Council will be given a list of all registered students so students in the above categories living in Exeter should not be billed for council tax. If you do receive a bill, you can request an exemption letter from SID Desk or INTO.

At the Penryn Campus to receive a Council Tax exemption letter please email

* This includes students who are studying at the University for one term as part of a longer full-time course in their home country e.g. Study Abroad and Erasmus students.  If you are in this situation and you receive a bill, we would recommend that you submit a letter from your home university as well as an exemption letter from Exeter.

The only time a student may have to contribute towards council tax may be if there is a contractual term within their housing tenancy or licence agreement.  For further help with this please contact the Guild Advice Unit.

NOT exempt:

  • Students studying for 2 terms or less (including Pre-sessional students) who are living in private accommodation

If you are a full-time student of the University of Exeter, you will be eligible for Council Tax exemption for up to 4 years of study.  This period may include up to 12 months continuation status.  At the end of this period, you will become liable for Council Tax charges.