Awards and league table success
Exeter is one of the top universities in the world
- Exeter is amongst the top 1 per cent of universities worldwide according to the Times Higher Education World University Rankings, the most influential global league table.
- We are 6th in the UK, 8th in Europe and top 40 in the world in the CWTS Leiden Ranking, when the quality of publications is taken into account. The Leiden Ranking offers key insights into the scientific performance of 842 major universities worldwide.
- The University is ranked 164th in the QS World University Rankings.
Exeter is a top UK university, according to all of the main higher education league tables
Each league table ranks more than 100 UK higher education institutions.
- The Times and the Sunday Times Good University Guide ranks Exeter in 7th position in the UK. It says: ‘Exeter is one of Britain’s most popular universities in terms of first-choice applications, not only in its traditional strong suit, the arts, but increasingly in the sciences and social sciences.’
- Exeter was named The Times and The Sunday Times Sports University of the Year 2015-16 acknowledging the University as the best in the country in academic and athletic achievement across a wide range of sports. It recognises Exeter’s outstanding support for athletes, very high student satisfaction in sport-related programmes and world-leading research which enhances athletic performance at all levels. In 2012 the Sunday Times named us 'Sunday Times University of the Year'.
- This year’s Guardian league table lists Exeter in 11th position out of 119 higher education institutions, we are ranked 6th in the Russell Group of leading research intensive universities. The Medical School’s Medicine programme is once again ranked as the best in the South West, climbing one place to 10th position. A wide range of subjects at the University secured top 10 positions: Religious Studies and Theology (2nd), Sports Science (5th), Forensic Science and Archaeology (6th), English and Creative Writing (7th), Engineering: Materials and Mineral (7th) Politics (7th), History (8th), Sociology (8th), Biosciences (9th), Classics and Ancient History (9th), History of Art (9th) and Philosophy (9th) all make the top 10.
- The Complete University Guide published in the Independent lists Exeter in 13th place.
A leader in the UK for student satisfaction
A wide range of subjects at the University of Exeter have performed strongly in this year’s National Student Survey (NSS).
Eight subjects are ranked in the Top 10 in the latest NSS, the most comprehensive measure of student satisfaction within higher education. Theology secured first place nationwide, while Sports Science, Archaeology, Drama and Sociology were also ranked among the very best in the country.
Overall, the NSS has awarded the University of Exeter an overall satisfaction mark of 85.7%, placing it third in the Russell Group of leading research intensive universities.
In particular, students praised the quality of teaching at Exeter, giving the University an overall satisfaction rating of almost 90% for teaching. Exeter also ranked first in the Russell Group for both Assessment and Feedback and Organisation and Management.
The Queen's Anniversary Prize
The University has three times been awarded a prestigious Queen's Anniversary Prize. The most recent award was made to a team of scientists who have transformed the lives of hundreds of diabetes sufferers.
This is the second Queen's prize won by a member of staff at the Peninsula Medical School. The Dean, Professor John Tooke, won a Queen's Prize in 1996 also for work on diabetes. It is the third Prize won by the University.