Apply for postgraduate study
Once you have an offer
If you have been offered a place at Exeter, you will have received an offer email and a formal offer letter. Your offer letter will include information on accommodation, tuition fees, deposits, your start date and any academic/non-academic conditions you may need to satisfy. Please read the letter carefully, as it will contain all of the information you will need to make your decision regarding your offer.
Your offer will be either Conditional or Unconditional:
- Conditional means that you have not yet satisfied our academic, English language or any other entry requirements. Details of our offer conditions and how you can satisfy these requirements (including paying your deposit) will be given in your offer letter.
- Unconditional means that you satisfy all our academic, English language or other conditions
Responding to your offer
As Exeter is a popular university, to secure your place you need to respond to your offer in writing either by the deadline specified in your offer letter or within 3 months of the date on which the offer was sent to you if a deadline is not specified in your offer letter. If we have not heard from you within the three month deadline or by the official start date of your programme, whichever is earlier, we reserve the right to withdraw your application.
To accept and secure your place
If you have an offer for a full-time taught postgraduate programme* you will need to pay your deposit to secure your place. You should pay your deposit by the deadline even if you have not yet met all the conditions of your offer.
*also applies to the part-time MA in Western Esotericism
If you have an offer for a part-time or research degree, you should contact us to confirm acceptance. Remember to include your full name, Exeter reference number and programme title in your reply.
Our deadline for meeting all the conditions of your offer is normally 31 August if you are applying for entry in September. (This date is particularly important for international students due to visa application deadlines). This means that you will need to supply the required documentation demonstrating that you have met any outstanding conditions in terms of academic requirements, English language and/or references as detailed in your offer letter or inform us by 31 August what conditions you have still to meet and the date by which you expect to be able to meet them.
We will send you a reminder prior to the 31 August deadline but if we do not hear from you we reserve the right to defer your application to the following year.
In order to receive a formal Unconditional offer letter, or, for international students to be allocated with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies which will enable you to apply for a General (Adult) Student Tier 4 visa (if applicable) you will need to:
1. Meet your academic conditions by providing copies of degree certificates, transcripts and references as explained in your Conditional offer letter.
2. Demonstrate that you have reached the required standard of English language competence by providing an English language test certificate of results which meet the scores specified in your Conditional offer letter.
Certificates and transcripts
Please send scanned or certified copies of certificates, transcripts and/or English language qualifications and not the originals; however, in order to apply for a UK student visa and register at the start of your programme you will need to produce your original certificates and transcripts, including certified translation if they are not in English. If you do post original documents to us you will need to notify the University within three months if you wish them to be returned to you.
3. Pay your tuition fee deposit
If you have an offer for a full-time taught postgraduate programme*, you will also need to pay a tuition fee deposit to confirm your place and we will start the process for issuing your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (for international students who require a student visa) or unconditional offer letter. We reserve the right to withdraw your offer if you have not paid your deposit by the required deadline.
*also applies to the part-time MA in Western Esotericism.
Please note that if you require a student visa, you will not automatically be sent an unconditional offer letter. If you require an unconditional offer letter please contact he International Admissions team at firstname.lastname@example.org to request one (please ensure you quote your full name, Exeter reference number and programme of study in any correspondence).
4. Complete a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS formerly Criminal Records Bureau) Enhanced check if required. Information will be included in your offer letter if this applies to you. Further information can be found on our DBS webpages. Please note that we will require the original copy of your DBS check certificate before you can be considered to have completed this condition and allowed to register with the University.