- Provides you with a solid foundation in core theories and methods of political science and research methodology focusing specifically on the Middle East and North Africa
- Designed to give you freedom to be creative but also appeal to employers who expect core, critical skills that apply both to the Middle East and North Africa and the subject of politics more broadly
- You'll deepen your knowledge of key topics e.g. political history, the Arab-Israeli conflict, state and society in the Middle East, international relations, nationalism, the politics of reform in the Gulf, gender studies and Islamic culture and civilization, while at the same time enhancing your career prospects
- We are a large multidisciplinary department, with internationally renowned research centres and innovative teaching. Get involved in a variety of activities and join our vibrant research community
- Your broad knowledge and expertise in Middle Eastern studies will be valued by public and private sector employers and open doors for further academic study
11th for Politics in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2020
Largest Centre for Middle East Studies in a UK university
Home to Europe’s most important research collection on the Arab world
UK fees per year:
£9,200 full-time; £4,600 part-time
International fees per year:
Institute of Arab and Islamic Studies Masters Excellence Scholarships
The Institute of Arab and Islamic Studies is offering scholarships for students starting with us in September 2021. Details of these scholarships can be found as follows:
HRH Prince Alwaleed Al Saud Scholarship for short study courses abroad
Students undertaking MA Programmes in Islamic Studies or Middle East and Islamic Studies are eligible to apply for an award of up to £1,500 to enable them to spend time in an Arab country for further language module studies or for collection of material relevant to their dissertations. Find out more.
The University of Exeter is offering scholarships to the value of over £4 million for students starting with us in September 2021. Details of scholarships, including our Global Excellence scholarships for international fee paying students, can be found on our dedicated funding page.
Teaching and research
- Lectures will give you direct access to the cutting-edge research being carried out by our academic team
- Take responsibility for your own learning and that of your peers by participating in group work, class discussions and student presentations
- Fine tune your critical reading skills and learn how to ask and field incisive questions
- Utilise a range of media from video and audio to articles from newspapers and academic journals
The taught modules on this programme are assessed by a combination of essays, presentations and group work. Following completion of these in April, you will then be assessed by a 15,000-word dissertation for submission in September.
As a Masters student you can attend regular research seminars held across the College of Social Sciences and International Studies and organised by our research centres. These are given by academics from Exeter and other Universities in the UK and overseas, as well as guest speakers from the private, public and charity sectors.
The Institute is equipped with state-of-the-art facilities including a computerised language lab, lecture theatres, seminar rooms, lounge, satellite TV for viewing Middle Eastern channels and a gallery for Middle Eastern art exhibitions.
The Arab World Documentation Unit based in the Research Commons is a valuable research resource, housing numerous collections of academic textbooks, press cuttings, government papers and reports, periodicals, pamphlets, business yearbooks, and much more, with material in English, Arabic and Hebrew.
Graduates from this programme may find professional employment in a wide range of sectors both in the UK and internationally. A comprehensive background in Middle East politics and international relations is relevant to careers in:
- academia and education
- international agencies such as the United Nations or the European Union
- international development
- print and broadcast media
- private sector companies with interests in Islamic countries
- business and risk analysts
The academic skills developed on the MA Middle East Politics will enable to you to pursue doctoral study. The Institute has an international profile for our pioneering regional focus on the Gulf and Arabian Peninsula and expertise in Islamic Studies providing an ideal place in which to undertake an MPhil/PhD.
Employment and professional development
Our excellent Career Zone provides invaluable support, advice and access to graduate employers. Visit the employment and professional development pages for more information, including podcasts and profiles, about the range of support available.
In addition, the location of this programme within a hub of renowned academia will offer you the possibility of connections, networking opportunities, advice and guidance from others with extensive academic and career-related experience in this field.
Fantastic facilities, outstanding teaching, world-leading research and exceptional graduate employability are just a few of the reasons we think you'll love it here. Find out what our students say about choosing Exeter.
Studying at our campuses in Devon or Cornwall means you'll have some of the most beautiful natural scenery in the UK on your doorstep. Find out about student life at Exeter and the huge range of sports, clubs and societies on offer.
One University, two locations
We have around 20,000 students across our three campuses in Devon and Cornwall which means we offer the academic excellence and facilities you'd expect of a major university but also a friendly and welcoming atmosphere.