- MSc Engineering Business Management is designed for the engineering managers and leaders of the future
- Develop techniques and analytical tools used to enhance business operations, as you gain a thorough understanding of the processes and practices of the engineering industry
- Taught in partnership with the University of Exeter Business School, you’ll receive an exceptional learning experience and the chance to build an outstanding personal network to enhance your future career
- Learn a basis in management specifically adapted for engineers, allowing you to progress quickly into management roles in your chosen field
- Option to gain work experience as part of your degree with MSc Engineering Business Management with Industrial Placement.
12th in the UK for General Engineering
The Complete University Guide 2021
Specialist facilities include microscopy suite, aerodynamics and fluids laboratories, additive manufacturing workshop and vibration testing rigs
Combine your Masters in Engineering Business Management with a year working in Industry*
*New for 2020
I loved the structure of my course; there was a great mix of engineering, business and project management modules to choose from meaning that I got to build both my technical and soft-skills; after all, great engineers need to be able to sell and communicate the innovative ideas they develop!
Graduated from MSc Engineering Business Management
All applicants are considered individually on merit although we usually require a 2:2 honours degree (or equivalent) in a science, engineering, management or numerate discipline.
Entry requirements for international students
English language requirements
- Overall score 6.5. No less than 6.0 in any section.
- Overall score 90 with minimum scores of 21 for writing, 21 for listening, 22 for reading and 23 for speaking.
- 58 with no less than 55 in all communicative skills.
Please visit our entry requirements entry requirements section for equivalencies from your country and further information on English language requirements.
This programme is modular and flexible, carrying 180 credits (240 credits for the Engineering Business Management with Industrial Placement variant) in total and offering flexibility in choice of modules studied.
MSc Engineering Business Management consists of seven core engineering, business and management focussed modules totalling 150 credits. This includes the 60-credit Engineering MSc project, and two 15-credit optional modules.
The programme begins in September each year and the taught elements are concluded by May. The Engineering MSc project, under the personal supervision of a research expert in the chosen area, continues until September.
The modules we outline here provide examples of what you can expect to learn on this degree course based on recent academic teaching. The precise modules available to you in future years may vary depending on staff availability and research interests, new topics of study, timetabling and student demand.
- Combine your masters in Engineering Business Management with work experience in the UK, putting your learning into practice while studying
- Studied over two years, you’ll have the opportunity to gain valuable professional experience by completing a 9-12month work placement in a role relevant to your degree
- Become a sought-after engineering professional with strong technical expertise, as well as excellent management abilities, allowing you to move into high-level management roles
- Career opportunities include product development, project management, customer services, human resources, and a wide variety of other areas, particularly related to the engineering industry.
UK/EU fees per year:
- £12,950 full-time
- £15,540 full-time - with industrial placement
International fees per year:
- £25,950 full-time
- £31,140 full-time - with industrial placement
Fees can normally be paid by two termly instalments and may be paid online. You will also be required to pay a tuition fee deposit to secure your offer of a place, unless you qualify for exemption. For further information about paying fees see our Student Fees pages.
UK government postgraduate loan scheme
Postgraduate loans of up to £10,609 are now available for Masters degrees. Find out more about eligibility and how to apply.
Global Excellence Scholarship
We are delighted to offer Global Excellence Scholarships for students of outstanding academic quality applying to postgraduate Taught programmes starting in autumn 2020.
Please note that this scholarship isn't offered for all our masters programmes.
Teaching and research
Teaching and assessment
The programme is delivered through a mix of lectures, seminars, tutorials, industrial presentations, case studies, industry visits, computer simulations, project work and a dissertation.
You will develop transferable skills such as management and communication skills, computational techniques, data handling and analysis, problem solving, decision making and research methodology. Many of these will be addressed within an industrial and commercial context.
You will be allocated a Personal Tutor who is available for advice and support throughout your studies, along with support and mentoring from graduates who are now in industry. There is also a Postgraduate Tutor available to help with further guidance and advice.
A research and practice-led culture
We believe every student benefits from being taught by experts active in research and practice. You will discuss the very latest ideas, research discoveries and new technologies in seminars and in the field. Plus, you’ll become actively involved in a research project yourself.
All our academic staff are active in internationally-recognised scientific research across a wide range of topics. You will also be taught by leading industry practitioners.
Throughout your studies you will have access to support materials designed to refresh your knowledge of engineering mathematics. Mathematics for Engineers is a non-credit bearing online resource that covers the mathematics needed to undertake an MSc. It is an invaluable revision tool for those wishing to refresh their knowledge of common mathematical topics.
Sample mathematics test
Unsure whether your maths is good enough for an MSc? Take the short test below to find out. This has been developed in conjunction with the Mathematics for Engineers module and covers many of the topics listed above.
There is considerable demand in the workplace for graduates with knowledge in both a specialist technology area and in management, particularly in the modern tools and techniques to support the management of a dynamically changing engineering business.
We have an established reputation of training tomorrow's great minds, so when it comes to life after graduation you can be confident that you are starting your next professional adventure in a prime, leading position.
Dedicated careers support
You will receive support from our dedicated Career Zone team, who provide excellent career guidance at all stages of career planning. The Career Zone provides one-on-one support and is home to a wealth of business and industry contacts. Additionally, they host useful training events, workshops and lectures which are designed to further support you in developing your enterprise acumen. Please visit the Career Zone for additional information on their services.
The professional destinations of our graduates reflects the quality of this programme. Our graduates have gone on to enjoy prosperous and successful careers in several areas after graduation. Graduates of this programme have gone on to enjoy careers such as analysts and research fellows, and work at companies such as Network Rail and National Space Development and Research Agency in Nigeria. This information has been taken from the Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education (DLHE) Survey (2011-2016).
Fantastic facilities, outstanding teaching, world-leading research and exceptional graduate employability are just a few of the reasons we think you'll love it here. Find out what our students say about choosing Exeter.
Studying at our campuses in Devon or Cornwall means you'll have some of the most beautiful natural scenery in the UK on your doorstep. Find out about student life at Exeter and the huge range of sports, clubs and societies on offer.
One University, two locations
We have around 20,000 students across our three campuses in Devon and Cornwall which means we offer the academic excellence and facilities you'd expect of a major university but also a friendly and welcoming atmosphere.