Vice-Chancellor's Scholarship for Postgraduate Research Ref: 2582
About the award
We are delighted to be offering up to 22 scholarships for current University of Exeter students progressing to PhD programmes in 2017, from a taught masters, MbyRes or STEMM* undergraduate (see list below) programme.
- For Home/EU students, this is a fully-funded scholarship and will cover fees, an annual stipend of £14,300 and a research allowance for up to three and a half years (42 months).
- For international students, the scholarship will cover full international fees and a research allowance.
Successful applicants will be expected to start their doctoral studies in September 2017. This award is not open to students who have already started a doctoral programme.
The University of Exeter offers doctoral programmes in the full range of its disciplines. The Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarships are specifically to support students to undertake a doctoral degree (e.g. PhD) in the research programmes listed below. For other funding opportunities and details of all of our programmes please visit our Postgraduate Study website.
The University of Exeter Business School:
Accounting, Economics, Finance, Leadership Studies, Management
College of Engineering, Mathematics and Physical Science:
Mining and Minerals, Geology, Civil Engineering, General Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Energy Engineering (Renewables), Natural Sciences, Computer Science
College of Humanities:
Modern languages, Art History & Visual Culture, Classics & Ancient History, English, Film studies, History, Theology & Religion
The College of Life and Environmental Sciences:
Biosciences, Geography, Psychology, Sport and Health Sciences
The University of Exeter Medical School:
Biomedical and Clinical Sciences and Health Research
College of Social Sciences and International Studies:
Politics, International Relations, Sociology, Philosophy, Anthropology, Law
Applications are welcomed for study at any campus at which a subject is offered – Streatham and St Luke’s in Exeter, Penryn and Truro in Cornwall.
The scholarship will be awarded to the strongest candidates based on an assessment of the applicant’s:
- academic excellence
- research potential
- research proposal
Applicants will be expected to have identified, approached, and have agreement in principle with a potential supervisor. To help find an appropriate supervisor please use the Research Expertise search function on our Postgraduate Study pages
The recipient of the scholarship is expected to commit to training and engagement beyond their doctoral studies, for example through public engagement opportunities, accessing skills development opportunities, and career development. Continued funding will be dependent on satisfactory evidence of this activity.
Progression from the following STEMM undergraduate degrees to a relevant postgraduate research programme is also considered appropriate:
|Application deadline:||2nd May 2017|
|Number of awards:||22|
|Value:||Home/EU - Full tuition fees, stipend and research allowance. International - full fees plus research allowance|
|Duration of award:||per year|
|Contact: Doctoral College: 01392 firstname.lastname@example.org|
How to apply
Candidates must apply through the University’s funding database for the Vice Chancellors’ Scholarship for Postgraduate Research- CLICK HERE TO APPLY
In the application process you will be asked to upload the following documents. Please note our preferred format is PDF, each file named with your surname and the name of the document, eg. “Smith – CV.pdf”, “Smith – Cover Letter.pdf”, “Smith – Transcript.pdf”.
- A Letter of Application (outlining your academic interests, prior research experience and reasons for wishing to undertake the project).
- Research Proposal with a supervisor agreed in principle- a guide to how to write a research proposal can be found here. Please clearly name the supervisor at the top of your research proposal document.
- Transcript(s) giving full details of subjects studied and grades/marks obtained (this should be an interim transcript if you are still studying) - both Undergraduate and Masters if available. Please note these must be uploaded as one PDF, free software is available online to merge documents.
- 2 References from referees familiar with your academic work. You should either upload references with your application or ensure you provide the details of your referees who should then email the reference in the form of a letter to the Postgraduate Administrator at email@example.com by 2 May 2017. The responsibility for ensuring that references are received by the deadline rests with the candidates. Referees should email their reference to us from their institutional email account (references sent from personal/private email accounts will not be accepted unless in the form of a scanned document on institutional headed paper and signed by the referee).
The deadline for applications is the 2nd May 2017- 23:59 (GMT). Interviews will be held at the University of Exeter Streatham Campus the week commencing the 5th June.
If candidates are successful in securing a Vice Chancellors’ Scholarship they will also need to complete an online application for a place to study at the University of Exeter and receive, and meet the conditions of, an academic offer.
If you have any general enquiries about the application process please email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone +44(0)1392722737.
*STEMM: Science, Technology, Engineering, Medicine and Mathematics