Arab and Islamic Studies
- 4th for Arab and Islamic Studies in the National Student Survey 2016
- Largest centre for Middle East Studies in a UK university with excellent research links in the Islamic world
- Scholarships available and HRH Prince Alwaleed Al Saud Awards to support study visits to Arab countries
- MAs suitable for students from a wide range of disciplines
- Students from all over the world including Brunei, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Middle East
- The Institute has the strongest REF2014 results of any Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies department in the UK submitted to the Area Studies Panel, and they establish Exeter as the leader in the field in terms of research quality, impact and environment
- Unique research resources including Europe’s most important research collection on the Arab world
The Institute of Arab and Islamic Studies is one of the most important centres of Arab, Middle East and Islamic studies in the UK. We enjoy an international profile for our pioneering regional focus on the Gulf and Arabian Peninsula and expertise in Islamic studies. The Institute hosts the Gulf Conference, the world's longest-running conference series on the Gulf region and Arabian Peninsula, and a seminar and lecture series featuring distinguished scholars and public figures from the Islamic world and the West.
Our first class facilities provide the perfect setting in which to study your postgraduate degree: our impressive building is the best purpose-built Middle East centre in the UK and is equipped with state-of-the-art facilities.
We welcome students from all around the world and offer a lively and friendly learning environment with plenty of contact with students and staff. Our range of MA and PhD programmes reflect the broad range and depth of research interests and experience amongst members of staff
Supervision is offered in a wide range of specialisations covering language, literature, history, politics, economics, sociology/social anthropology, religion, and culture of the Arab and Islamic World.