- Top 100 in the world for Psychology
- 85% of research classified as world-leading or internationally excellent
- Internationally respected and fast developing social, environmental and organisational psychology research group, and a major centre for cognitive, clinical and neuroscience research
- Numerous external links with organisations including IBM, The Ministry of Defence, and a unique partnership with the NHS
- Extensive research facilities including eyetracking, EEG/ERP and TMS laboratories, audio-visual recording suite and MRI scanner
The most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF 2014) confirms the status of Psychology at the University of Exeter as one of the foremost centres of research in the country. 85% of our research is classified as world-leading or internationally excellent^, and have active programmes of research in a variety of human and animal behaviour, specialising in visual perception, social psychology, organisational psychology, economic and consumer psychology, environmental psychology, psychopathology, human cognition, cognitive neuroscience and neuropsychology.
Our reputation for high quality research has helped us recruit staff with excellent records, who have been engaged in international collaborative research. This has ensured we have an exceptional breadth and depth of expertise across all psychological disciplines.
Our leading academics are at the forefront of their chosen fields and are responsible for delivering the very latest knowledge and expertise to help shape social and economic policy, enhance business practice or improve the health and well-being of the population. From playing a central role in creating new professional guidelines for treating depression, to working with large organisations such as the Ministry of Defence and National Health Service, our globally-renowned academics ensure the impact of our research is far reaching.
Each year we attract around £1.3 million in external research funding from UK Research Councils and charities. In addition, our research is supported by links with government organisations (including the MET office, NHS, and the armed forces) and the commercial sector (including IBM, Microsoft, Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development).
An MPhil/PhD offers an exciting opportunity to work with internationally leading researchers at the cutting-edge of research, within a close-knit and supportive environment.
^Research Excellence Framework 2014 based on the percentage of research categorised as 4* and 3*