Modern Languages 2018/19
- Top 10 in UK university league tables for the subject
- Top 150 worldwide for Modern Languages
- Top 5 in UK for Overall Satisfaction in National Student Survey 2017
- £1.4 million external research funding awarded over the past 4 years
- 29 fully funded doctoral studentships over the last 3 years
- MA Translation taught by published literary translators, experienced practitioners and specialists in the use of computer-aided translation tools
We are one of the UK’s leading centres for teaching and research in French, German, Hispanic Studies, Italian, Russian, Interdisciplinary Studies, Medieval Studies, Film Studies, and Sexuality and Gender Studies. We offer excellent MA programmes and boast a Foreign Language Centre with state-of-the-art language-learning facilities.
Our wide range of research and teaching expertise spans the fields of literature, linguistics, film studies, history, philosophy, visual arts, sexuality and gender, from the Middle Ages to the present day, as well as literary and applied translation. All teaching is directly related to our research. We attach particular importance to the quality of research supervision and training along with the integration of postgraduates into our academic and research community. Modern languages postgraduates benefit from the regular research seminars and scholars of international repute are frequent visitors.
Welcome to the Department of Modern Languages. We are a large and friendly department that offers excellent teaching across our wide range of languages, and across disciplinary areas that include Literary Studies, Film Studies, Translation Studies and Visual Culture. We teach and research languages and cultures from across the globe, including those of Europe, Latin America, Africa and Asia. For us, language and culture are intertwined. We work with our students to develop both their language skills and their knowledge and understanding of the societies, cultures and networks where those languages are spoken.
Professor Sally Faulkner, Head of Modern Languages