Theology and Religion
- Top 50 worldwide for Theology and Religion in the QS World University Rankings 2018
- Top 10 for Theology and Religion in the National Student Survey 2018
- 2nd in the UK for world-leading and internationally excellent research
- Top 5 in all major UK university league tables
- £1.25 million external research funding awarded over the past 4 years
- A third of doctoral students have been fully-funded by studentships over the last 3 years
Postgraduate students study broadly in the areas of biblical studies, patristics, Christian doctrine, philosophical theology, and the ethical, social and political implications of Christian theology. Some choose inter- or multi-disciplinary topics and there are close links with other disciplines in the College of Humanities and Institute of Arab and Islamic Studies.
Theologians, philosophers, biblical scholars and historians join in one united research culture to exchange and develop ideas.
Studying in the Department of Theology and Religion allows you to engage with some of the big questions which have fascinated people for many centuries. Our rigorous but varied and innovative programme allows you to pursue these questions from different angles: Biblical studies, history, literature and the visual arts, philosophy and theology. We also use insights from other humanities disciplines and the social sciences. Our modules are led by our research, but our research is also shaped by learning from our students!
Professor Morwenna Ludlow, Head of Theology and Religion