Making research data open access
Many funders require the preservation of and continuing access to underlying research data, recommending that at least those datasets that underpin published research should be securely stored.
Those funded by Research Councils UK (RCUK) are expected to provide online open access to key datasets, where possible, and where data is not suitable for open access, to give assurance that it is securely held and available for reuse if required. Also, the EPSRC has specific requirements.
Where a subject repository does not exist, researchers can deposit any type of data to Open Research Exeter (ORE).
Researchers funded by RCUK and Wellcome Trust must include in all published papers a statement outlining how the underlying data can be accessed, whether on or offline. The statement might include:
- The research materials supporting this publication can be publically accessed in [insert repository/data centre/archive here] via the following persistent identifier: [insert Persistent Identifier here]. The research materials are available under a [insert licence here].
- The research materials supporting this publication have been deposited in [insert repository/data centre/archive here]. If you wish to access these research materials please contact [insert name and contact details here].
- The research materials supporting this publication can be accessed at [insert URL here].
- The research materials supporting this publication can be accessed by contacting [insert contact details here].
- Due to the confidential nature of some of the research materials supporting this publication not all of the data can be made accessible to other researchers. Please contact [insert contact details here] for more information.