+ Contacts

Open access

Research Data Management

Paying for open access (gold)

What is paid open access?

Following payment to the publisher of a one-off Article Processing Charge (APC), your publication will be made available as open access on the publisher website, immediately upon online publication. This is sometimes called “gold” open access, referring to the fee that is charged. A licence guiding reuse is usually applied, such as one of the Creative Commons licences, of which the most liberal is CC-BY.

Paid open access includes all articles published in fully open access journals and individual articles published as open access in hybrid journals. Publishing in a hybrid journal, you can choose to pay an APC for open access to your article on the publisher website. If you choose not to pay, your article will be published on a traditional (subscription) basis. Most publishers still allow you to upload the accepted version via Symplectic, to be made available as open access in the institutional repository ORE (self-archiving or “green" open access).

Funder requirements for paid open access

You may be able to meet your funder requirements by uploading the accepted version of your article to ORE (and funder repository e.g. PubMed Central, if applicable). The publisher may impose an embargo - a period of time before the article can be made available as open access in the repository. If the journal embargo exceeds the maximum embargo allowed by your funder, you may need to pay for open access. Check your funder open access requirements for details.

Funding for open access

Your funder might pay for open access. Check your funder open access requirements. Check the terms and conditions of your research grant, to see if open access is an eligible cost.

We administer three open access funds

  1. UKRI/RCUK open access block grant, for research funded by any of the Research Councils UK
  2. Charity Open Access Fund (COAF), for research funded by COAF partner charities
  3. Institutional APC Fund, for papers that are not eligible to have open access costs paid by the funder of research

To apply for open access funding, submit an open access funding request upon acceptance of your article.

APC discounts and waivers

APC discounts are available to University of Exeter authors through institutional membership or offset agreements.

Frequently asked questions