Frequently asked questions

There are two main routes to making your work available as open access:

  1. Upload your accepted manuscript via Symplectic. It will be made available as open access in the institutional repository ORE, in accordance with publisher policy. There are no charges associated with this option, which is sometimes referred to as self-archiving or “green” open access.
  2. Pay an Article Processing Charge (APC) to the publisher (also called "gold" open access). Your article will be made available as open access on the publisher website immediately upon publication. Often a licence is applied guiding reuse, such as one of the Creative Commons licences (CC).

Yes. Upload upon acceptance (comply with REF 2021 open access policy). An embargo will be applied to your paper, in compliance with publisher requirements. The embargo will lift automatically once the embargo period has passed.

HEFCE respects publisher embargoes (maximum 12 months for REF panels A and B / 24 months for REF panels C and D). Papers that are still under embargo will be eligible to be submitted for the REF.

An embargo often applies to the accepted manuscript. Check individual journal policies using SHERPA/RoMEO. If the journal embargo period for the accepted manuscript exceeds the maximum allowed by your funder, you may need to pay for open access.

Yes. Please upload all of your University of Exeter research outputs via Symplectic to ORE.

All outputs should be uploaded to ORE. If you are paying an APC to the publisher to publish with open access, you still need to upload via Symplectic. If you prefer to wait and upload the final published PDF, you can use an "exception" for papers published via the paid ("gold") route, where uploading the output on acceptance is 'not felt to deliver significant additional benefit.'

The final published version must still be uploaded to the repository as soon as possible after publication.

Often it is not permitted to make the final published PDF available in a repository. Check journal policies using SHERPA/RoMEO. If you paid to publish with open access, you can upload the final published PDF.

Please do not re-upload via Symplectic as this can break the link between Symplectic and ORE.

Email, we can make this change for you.

If your research was funded by one of the 27 PubMed Central (PMC) funders, your article should be made available in PMC.

If you paid an open access APC, the publisher might deposit on your behalf. Charity Open Access Fund charities require that the publisher submits the final published full text with CC-BY licence to PMC immediately upon publication, if an open access APC is paid.

If the publisher does not deposit, self-archive the accepted version using Europe PubMed Central Plus.

Your funder might pay your open access fee, check their open access policy for details. Institutional APC Funds are available for articles that are not eligible to have open access charges paid by the funder of research.

Contact for more information.

Your funder might pay your page or colour charges. Check the terms and conditions of your research grant for details. If funded by RCUK, submit a publication charges funding request.

You can make your paper available as open access by uploading the accepted manuscript via Symplectic to the institutional repository ORE. There are no charges associated with this. This option applies whether or not you pay for open access.

If you wish to publish as open access and have no funding to pay an APC, consider

  1. Approaching your research funder to ask if they will pay.
  2. Asking the publisher to waive the fee.
  3. Submitting to a journal that does not charge an APC e.g. some journals listed in the Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ) do not charge a fee to publish, journals in the JISC Springer Compact agreement do not charge a fee to Exeter authors
  4. Other APC discounts are also available.

Apply upon acceptance of your article. This will ensure that your funding request can be processed in time for the article to be made available as open access immediately upon online publication.

If you are submitting to a fully open access journal, you may be required to provide billing details upon submission, in which case apply to us at this point.

Anybody that is a current member of the University of Exeter can apply to the central open access funds that we administer. Professional Services staff can apply on behalf of researchers. Generally, we would expect that the lead author is based at Exeter, but in situations where the lead author is unable to provide open access funding, please get in touch to discuss your request.

If you received an invitation to publish, we suggest using Think, Check Submit to ascertain whether this is a journal that you wish to publish in, especially if the publisher is charging a fee to publish your work. Your funder might pay your open access fee, providing the publication is within the scope of their open access policy.

Yes. You are required to submit a copy of your thesis/dissertation to Open Research Exeter (ORE), where it will be made freely available as open access.

All research publications produced whilst at the University of Exeter must be uploaded to ORE.

If your publications acknowledge external funding, you need to make sure you publish in compliance with the open access requirements of your funder of research.