The University provides a range of transport schemes to support staff and encourages sustainable travel whenever possible
Locked cycling facilities are now available for use on Streatham and St Luke's campuses:
- The Streatham facility has 40 cycle spaces, solar powered lighting and meets Cycle Exeter's best practice. Cyclists wishing to use the facility should get the code for the facility from the Streatham Sports Park reception. Cyclists can use this map to find out where cycle parking is on Streatham Campus.
- The facility at St Luke's has 30 spaces. Cyclists wishing to use this facility should get the code for the facility from the accommodation office in the South Cloisters.
The University of Exeter has joined up with Cyclescheme for employees of the University to use cycles through a government scheme to encourage people to cycle to work, which saves the employee income tax and national insurance on the cost of the cycle, and spreads the cost over 12 months. Cyclescheme allows the employee to redeem a voucher at a large number of local cycle shops in Devon and Cornwall which participate in the scheme. The scheme operates under a 'salary exchange' arrangement which is approved by the government. Further information on the scheme is available on the Cycle to work scheme webpage. For information on free cycle training please contact Paul Mouland.
Pool bike scheme (St Luke's)
Based at St Luke's? Why not cycle to your next meeting? We are now piloting a pool bike scheme for staff working on the St Luke's Campus. Pool bikes are free to use and you have a choice of a ladies' small hybrid or a medium gents' hybrid. They are easy to book, contact the St Luke's Porters lodge. Visit the pool bike webpages to find out more.
Discounted travel passes
The University has partnered with Stagecoach to offer staff working at the Streatham and St Luke's Campuses discounted travel passes. For an application form and further information, go to the webpage on Stagecoach bus passes. Information on bus travel, to, from and between our Exeter Campuses can be found on the Sustainability webpages.
There is a free minibus service from Exeter St David’s railway station to Streatham Campus for staff and students. From 23 September the minibus service will expand to include the St Luke’s campus and Veysey building for a trial period.
For staff in Cornwall, First Bus operates a number of frequent service bus routes linking major towns in Cornwall. Staff are able to receive subsidised bus transport with First Bus using a zoning system. A discounted travel pass to travel at any time within Cornwall is also available. Information can be found on the Falmouth Exeter Plus Travel Information webpages.
Public transport season tickets
The University will provide an interest-free loan for an annual season ticket subject to the certain conditions. For further details, please see the annual travel loan form PD16.
Exeter has two mainline railway stations - Exeter St David's (main station) and Exeter Central. The average journey time from London Paddington is 2 hours 30 minutes to Exeter. The Streatham Campus is a 10 minute walk from St David's station and 15 minutes from Exeter Central station. The walking route is signed from St David's' station and the Streatham Campus map shows the walking route.
- Use National Rail Enquiries to plan your route
- For passenger information telephone 08457 484950
Enterprise Rent a Car offers a discount of 15% off local rates or a 5% discount compared to standard online booking prices to University staff. For more information on how to obtain a staff discount, see the supplier search on the Procurement website. The discount can be found under 'C' in the A-Z listing.
Car leasing scheme
The University is no longer offering the Car Lease Scheme to staff. However if you currently have a lease through this scheme then information can be found on the Human Resources website under Car Leasing scheme.
There is parking available at all University sites although this can be limited. Staff are advised wherever possible to take advantage of the alternative travel options detailed on this page, including car sharing. Staff are able to purchase free authority to park permits which enable you to have greater flexibility as to when you bring your car (and pay the reduced pay and display £1/day charge) to campus and when you use an alternative form of transport. Staff are able to purchase annual parking permits (although for certain campuses criteria must be met). Staff car parking permits are only available through salary exchange, unless you meet one of a few exemptions.
- For further details about staff car parking on the Exeter campuses and obtaining parking permits, visit the Staff car parking pages.
- For further details about staff car parking on the Cornwall Campus, visit the Cornwall Campus car parking pages.
Staff can find other people to car share with through Car Share Devon and Car Share Cornwall. You can register with the general car sharing website to share with a variety of people from throughout the area or you can join the private University group (see instructions below) to share with university staff and students. Staff are encouraged to utilise car sharing opportunities when travelling for business, for example when travelling between the Exeter campuses and Cornwall Campus.
To join Carshare Devon please follow these simple steps;
- Click to register on Carsharedevon.com
- You then have a choice - you can either chose to join the public group by clicking 'Go' on the first drop down box which says 'Car Share Devon' OR you can join the University of Exeter private group by selecting University of Exeter from the second drop down box
- Enter your name and email address
- Register a journey (this can be commuter and/or business journeys)
Gemini Taxis (Exeter)
Gemini Taxis offer a 10% discount to University staff on production of the University identification card when commencing journeys. Tel: 01392 666666 and indicate when you call that you will be applying your discount to your journey.