- Contacts and about us
- Courses and resources
- Community challenges
- Customer service
- You teach
- You research
- You manage others
- Career development
- Technical specialists
- Mandatory training
- Performance development review (PDR)
- Learning and development policies and reports
- Frequently asked questions
- E-zine and blog
Staff volunteering and Community Challenges
Deliver and develop
Did you know that as a member of staff, the University will allow teams one paid day in a 12 month period to undertake volunteering in the community?
This one day team event is known as a Community Challenge. You can incorporate it into a team-building exercise as a department.
Is your team inspired to get together to volunteer in the local community?
Volunteering opportunities will normally take place during a working day, and could be straightforward hands-on, practical tasks such as decorating, gardening or organising/assisting with events. Community Challenges do require advance planning and preparation to ensure success for the University, your volunteering team and for the organisation concerned.
Create a positive impact for:
- Local communities: will benefit from having additional resources where they are most needed to add value
- University: demonstrates publicly to the local community its mission values in practice, underlining our commitment to reaching out to all sections of the community
- You: this is an opportunity to develop and enhance a wide range of skills and competences you may never have had the chance to use before or maybe didn’t even know you had.
- Your team:
- A project which connects you to the local community
- Improved team working skills and cohesiveness
- An opportunity to work together on a common task with a common goal outside the scope of the normal remit of the team Any barriers are broken down as members are placed together on a level footing
- Individuals have the opportunity to take on new roles and discover things about each other which will benefit the overall effectiveness of the team once back in the workplace.
- Links across the University: teams could be across departments, Colleges with their bespoke Professional Services staff, volunteering alongside our students, or other opportunities. You can, however, only attend one Community Challenge in a 12 month period.
Staff Learning & Development, in conjunction with Corporate Responsibility, Students' Guild, FXU (Falmouth's Students' Union), Community Liaison and the Safety Office are promoting this scheme.
Dr Claire Lambert
Staff Learning & Development