- Contacts and about us
- Courses and resources
- Community challenges
- Customer service
- You teach
- You research
- You manage others
- Career development
- Technical specialists
- Mandatory training
- Performance development review (PDR)
- Learning and development policies and reports
- Frequently asked questions
- E-zine and blog
Training provided by the University of Exeter
A variety of courses are delivered on the Cornwall campus across the academic year. These courses range from mandatory training for new staff, workshops for effective communication, to courses specific to University policy.
Training currently delivered on the Cornwall campus includes:
- Cross Cultural Competency Training - a course designed to support staff in building their cross-cultural competence so that they can work more effectively in an increasingly internationalised environment.
- Data Protection: Practical Implications of the Data Protection and Freedom of Information Acts - This workshop which discusses the main principles of the Acts and encourages you to relate them to your work.
- Equality & Diversity (Induction) - mandatory for new staff - it will include a discussion about the processes and impact of discrimination and provides an opportunity to explore our own beliefs and assumptions; perhaps questioning any possible prejudices we may hold.
- Introduction to Health and Safety - mandatory for new staff - a course introducing the basic concepts of health and safety, including: hazard identification, risk assessment, legal duties, University health and safety management, accident prevention, safe working attitudes.
- Learning and Teaching in Higher Education (LTHE) - This two stage programme is for postgraduate research students who teach and/or support students’ learning. It introduces the principles of effective learning, teaching and assessing in Higher Education.
- Recruitment & Selection (Foundation) and (Experienced) - mandatory for those who manage others - these bite-sized courses will give you the knowledge and skills to conduct successful recruitment and selection.
- Voice Coaching: A healthy voice for effective communication - a practical interactive workshop to boost vocal capability, clarity and confidence in the lecture theatre and classroom.
- Web Content Management System (CMS) - an introductory session on the new Content Management System for creating the University's new format web pages.
- You Teach - This selection of short courses is available for all staff who teach or support student learning at the University.
If there are no current dates arranged on the Cornwall campus please add yourself to the waiting list and you shall be contacted as soon as new dates are confirmed.
Training provided by Falmouth University
Falmouth University staff training is open to all University of Exeter staff on the Cornwall Campus. Training ranges from personal development courses (such as assertiveness and time management) to neuro-linguistic programming.
See the Falmouth University Staff Development Programme 2012-2013 for details of the training available.
Please see the Falmouth University Price List for specific costs of courses available to University of Exeter staff.
To book any of these courses please contact Clare Manser with the course details.
Further learning and development opportunities
We wish to provide our Cornwall-based staff with as many development opportunities as possible.
The learning and development providers at the University of Exeter deliver a range of training from customer service training to leadership and management courses. The full details of all training available to University of Exeter staff can be found on our course listing page.
All staff have access to our our new online resource centre You e-Develop which contains thousands of bite-size articles, checklists, presentations, exercises and links to further reading on a huge range of topics from managing your career to motivating others.
If you find there is a need for specific training or demand for a certain course that is not currently delivered on the Cornwall campus please contact us in Staff Learning and Development with the details and we will aim to help you with your learning need.*
*The delivery of courses is subject to the capacity and budgetary restraints of Staff Learning & Development.