Leadership and Management
A comprehensive range of programmes and short courses to ensure you are supported and inspired to be a great leader and people manager. Whether you’re a middle or senior manager, supervisor, team leader or aspiring towards your first management position, there’s something to meet your needs.
The Leadership and Management themed ‘Exeter Entrepreneur’ courses have been created to support our Global 100 vision by equipping managers/leaders with the core business skills needed and encouraging new ways of working.
- Introduction to Higher Education - today's Universities, tomorrow's issues
- Managing a project
- Managing change
- Impact and Influence
- Impact at Meetings
- Coaching conversations
- Influencing skills and strategies
- Leading outstanding customer service
This suite comprises a range of short courses for individuals with people management responsibilities, designed to equip them with the fundamental knowledge and skills required to effectively manage individuals and teams within the University. Some of these courses, such as ‘PDR Skills for Reviewers’, are mandatory.
- Selection, interviewing, unconscious bias
- Managing performance and absence. Part 1 – policies
- Managing performance and absence. Part 2 - challenging conversations
- Induction for people managers
- Managing wellbeing and building resilience
- PDR training
- Health, safety and the environment for managers
These programmes support specific groups and teams e.g. the new ‘Heads of Discipline Programme for new Heads; ‘Aurora’ - for women who aspire to move into leadership roles. We are planning more bespoke development so watch this space!
Programmes with Qualifications
For managers/supervisors who want to explore subjects in greater detail, undertake independent study outside of the classroom and gain a qualification, we offer a range of programmes leading to Institute of Leadership and Management (ILM) qualifications.
We offer the following qualifications: please visit our main page for more information.
- ILM Level 2 Award in Leadership and Team Skills
- ILM Level 3 Award in Leadership and Management
- ILM Level 5 Award in Leadership and Management
Programmes without Qualifications
These programmes will connect you to a cohort of fellow learners (e.g. aspiring managers, middle managers); help you develop knowledge and skills through a series of topical workshops and learning activities without undertaking any assessments.
We offer the following programmes: please visit our main page for more information.
- The Effective Supervisor programme
- The Aspiring Manager Programme (AMP)
- South West Institutions' Middle Manager Programme (SWIMM)