Managers' guide: Fixed term contracts
In this guide:
- Fixed Term Work (Prevention of Less Favourable Treatment) Regulations 2002
- Appropriate use
- Purpose of the non-renewal procedure
- Who can take action
- Roles and responsibilities
- Conducting a meeting
- Record keeping
- Redundancy payments
Purpose of this guide
The purpose of the managers’ guide is to provide practical advice:
- to managers who are authorised to take action within the University’s Procedure for the non-renewal of a fixed term contract;
- on the circumstances in which it is appropriate to offer or extend a fixed term contract;
- on compliance with the Fixed Term Work (Prevention of Less Favourable Treatment) Regulations 2002.
The guide is not a substitute for formal training but a supplement to training provided through Staff Learning and Development. Nor is it a substitute for seeking advice from the appropriate HR Business Partner within Human Resources.
It is a requirement of the University’s Procedures that a representative of the Director of Human Resources is involved at all stages of the Procedure and managers should seek advice from their HR Business Partner at the earliest opportunity in every case.