Our process for approval and renewal information will inform you how to invite an Honorary scholar to the University.
Process for approval and renewal
- All honorary appointments should be proposed by an established member of academic staff at the University. The proposer should complete the Honorary Appointment Proposal Form (PD14), setting out the reasons for the proposal.
- Proposals for appointment/renewal of Honorary University Fellow and Honorary Research Assistant must be approved by the College Dean form PD14.
- The completed form should be forwarded to the PA to the Director of Human Resources who will write to the honorary appointment confirming their appointment.
- Proposals for appointment/renewal of Honorary Visiting Professorships will be referred to the appropriate Deputy Vice-Chancellor and/or the Vice Chancellor’s Executive Group for approval. Requests for the title of Honorary Visiting Professor will be approved by to the appropriate Deputy Vice-Chancellor for approval if the nominee already holds a full professorship elsewhere (and then reported to the Vice-Chancellor’s Executive Group); otherwise, the proposal will require the approval of both the appropriate Deputy Vice-Chancellor and the Vice-Chancellor’s Executive Group.
Colleges should not put a proposed start date on the proposal form which is earlier than the date the form is sent to Human Resources. Rather, Colleges should allow two months for this process to be completed and longer where a Certificate of Sponsorship is required.
Honorary appointment proposal form
- Honorary appointment proposal form PD14