Insurance requirements for staff based overseas will be affected by the period of time that they are based overseas and the country within which they are based.   It is essential that appropriate insurance is arranged through the University Insurance Office and that this is in place prior to the employee commencing work overseas.

Where a member of staff’s normal base is the UK and they are sent on assignment overseas for less than twelve months cover will normally be provided through University Travel Insurance policy.  While this provides emergency medical cover it will not cover routine medical costs and the employee may wish to take out additional health insurance in this respect. 

If an employee is required to travel from their overseas base to a country outwith the UK this may not be covered by the University Travel policy and advice should be sought from the Insurance Office prior to travel.

An additional premium is charged by the University Insurers where a member of staff is planning to be overseas for more than twelve months, or if they are likely to be participating in any hazardous activity. This cost needs to be met by the College or Service. Failure to advise the Insurance Office of extended stays or hazardous activities may result in the cover being deemed invalid by the Insurers.   It should be noted that this may also apply to travel to areas that the Foreign Office is advising against visiting for "all but essential travel".

There may be requirements within specific countries for the University to have additional insurance. E.g. in the United States the University would require to hold workers compensation cover and possibly health insurance.  This will be assessed on a case by case basis by the Insurance Office.    

Manager to contact Insurance office to organise overseas insurance