Contact your Human Resources Business Partner if you have any questions or worries about your entitlements.

International staff

EU/EEA Nationals

Going abroad

Once you have qualified for Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP), you can still receive it if you go abroad either temporarily or permanently, providing you do not work for a new employer.

However, please remember if you have claimed University Maternity Pay, the University may reclaim all or part of the non-statutory element of this maternity pay if you fail to return to work for at least 3 months following your maternity leave (or an equivalent period of time if you reduce your hours). This excludes any non-working periods (eg KIT days, parental leave, vacation time for term time-only workers).

Please see the University policy on overpayments for details on how the money would be repaid by you to the University.

You can also continue to receive Maternity Allowance if you go to another EU country, either temporarily or permanently, but you should check the position with the JobCentre Plus first.

Non EU/EEA Nationals

Statutory Maternity Pay

If you have a visa that allows you to live and work in the United Kingdom you may be able to get Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP). If your visa includes the condition that you have “no recourse to public funds” you may still get SMP provided you satisfy the qualifying conditions. Since the qualifying conditions for SMP depend on your recent employment and earnings history, SMP does not constitute “public funds”. Once you become entitled to or if you are already getting SMP and then go abroad, the University will continue to pay SMP.

Going abroad

If you are planning on returning to your home country then you must check with the UKBA that your visa allows you to return to the UK after a period of time in another country. Please also note the effect any time out of the UK may have on future requests for settlement.

Tier 2

Please ensure your Human Resources Business Partner is aware you are on a Tier 2 visa. We need to notify UKBA that your pay will be affected due to a period of maternity leave.